Live edge cedar front shelf

Just installed my front shelf! I went back and forth on what wood I wanted to use, and settled on a live edge cedar slab. Cedar has great qualities for use outdoors, and i think is pretty easy on the eyes as well. I got this slab from MPKVisions on Etsy in case anyone is interested (no affiliation). He sanded and sealed the slab with a few coats of polyure

For the hinges, I used Amarine 12” stainless folding hinges from Amazon. I had originally planned to drill a couple extra holes in the grill to use two bolts on each hinge, but I ended up only using the factory bolt and bolt hole to mount the hinges and it seems like extra bolts would be overkill. I put a lot of weight (more than the shelf will ever hold) on the hinge to see if it flexed, and it was evident that one bolt in each hinge would be plenty sturdy. This was a relief because I really didn’t want to drill holes in the grill. To secure the slab to the hinges I used four #10 stainless screws.

View attachment 6166View attachment 6167View attachment 6168
This is awesome and you already inspired me to purchase the hinges on amazon. I also found the Etsy store that you mentioned and was wondering if you could provide more details on your order so I can get the same piece of wood. Thanks!!!

This is awesome and you already inspired me to purchase the hinges on amazon. I also found the Etsy store that you mentioned and was wondering if you could provide more details on your order so I can get the same piece of wood. Thanks!!!
My piece is 32” long and about 12” deep, 1” thick. The seller is very responsive and sent me pictures of a couple pieces to pick from. I also had him sand and poly the wood, so it was ready to screw to the hinges when it arrived. Just explain it’s for the same grill shelf that he made me and he should know what you need.

My piece is 32” long and about 12” deep, 1” thick. The seller is very responsive and sent me pictures of a couple pieces to pick from. I also had him sand and poly the wood, so it was ready to screw to the hinges when it arrived. Just explain it’s for the same grill shelf that he made me and he should know what you need.

Thank you!

Following up on my previous post, I decided to use a piece of sapele (similar to mahogany) for my shelf and save my live slab for a table. I used the hinges recommended by the OP. As for the original legs I made a butcher block service table with a drawer for utensils. Both the table top and shelf finished with food safe oil/wax. Still love the OP's live slab!

Attachments

• 20201005_150014.jpg
    20201005_150014.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 95
  • 20201005_150147.jpg
    20201005_150147.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 73
  • 20201005_150207.jpg
    20201005_150207.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 84

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back