Stampede Live edge cedar front shelf

matthewstn

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Just installed my front shelf! I went back and forth on what wood I wanted to use, and settled on a live edge cedar slab. Cedar has great qualities for use outdoors, and i think is pretty easy on the eyes as well. I got this slab from MPKVisions on Etsy in case anyone is interested (no affiliation). He sanded and sealed the slab with a few coats of polyure

For the hinges, I used Amarine 12” stainless folding hinges from Amazon. I had originally planned to drill a couple extra holes in the grill to use two bolts on each hinge, but I ended up only using the factory bolt and bolt hole to mount the hinges and it seems like extra bolts would be overkill. I put a lot of weight (more than the shelf will ever hold) on the hinge to see if it flexed, and it was evident that one bolt in each hinge would be plenty sturdy. This was a relief because I really didn’t want to drill holes in the grill. To secure the slab to the hinges I used four #10 stainless screws.

80736F74-0A41-4BE6-AD07-C92FCBC7C7C7.jpeg
083EDCAB-2A8A-406A-B947-30ED53D4AB8F.jpeg
0887AAA9-386D-4213-A474-924C8BC1D7A9.jpeg

Last edited:
Just installed my front shelf! I went back and forth on what wood I wanted to use, and settled on a live edge cedar slab. Cedar has great qualities for use outdoors, and i think is pretty easy on the eyes as well. I got this slab from MKPVisions on Etsy in case anyone is interested (no affiliation). He sanded and sealed the slab with a few coats of polyure

For the hinges, I used Amarine 12” stainless folding hinges from Amazon. I had originally planned to drill a couple extra holes in the grill to use two bolts on each hinge, but I ended up only using the factory bolt and bolt hole to mount the hinges and it seems like extra bolts would be overkill. I put a lot of weight (more than the shelf will ever hold) on the hinge to see if it flexed, and it was evident that one bolt in each hinge would be plenty sturdy. This was a relief because I really didn’t want to drill holes in the grill. To secure the slab to the hinges I used four #10 stainless screws.
Beautiful. Nice job

Looks great, I tried to look up the seller on etsy and could not find it. How much was it?

Nice job! I just received my 700 yesterday and am currently burning it in. I wanted the front shelf but it wasn't available. Is there any issue with having combustible wood as a front shelf? I have a nice piece of teak I could use following your terrific design.

Nice job! I just received my 700 yesterday and am currently burning it in. I wanted the front shelf but it wasn't available. Is there any issue with having combustible wood as a front shelf? I have a nice piece of teak I could use following your terrific design.
I spaced the wood about an inch off of the grill with it folded up, so there is plenty of room for airflow between the shelf and the grill. Hold your hand about an inch off of your grill, and you’ll see that not an incredible amount of heat is radiating off of it. Definitely not to cause the wood to combust. I think having about an inch gap and adequate airflow around the shelf is key though. Definitely wouldn’t want any part of the wood contacting the cook chamber.

Also congrats on your 700, awesome piece of metal right there! Would love to see a live edge slab hanging off the front of one!

Congrats

I spaced the wood about an inch off of the grill with it folded up, so there is plenty of room for airflow between the shelf and the grill. Hold your hand about an inch off of your grill, and you’ll see that not an incredible amount of heat is radiating off of it. Definitely not to cause the wood to combust. I think having about an inch gap and adequate airflow around the shelf is key though. Definitely wouldn’t want any part of the wood contacting the cook chamber.

Also congrats on your 700, awesome piece of metal right there! Would love to see a live edge slab hanging off the front of one!
Thanks. I happen to have a live edge slab of maple... but since a got the comp cart I think I may mount it on the original legs to make a cutting board/side cart.

This is what I did with my standard legs.
I had this old enamel top and love it!
The wood would look awesome too!

Attachments

• CF04A63A-8BE4-4D89-80CD-5CB7E9EE7646.jpeg
    CF04A63A-8BE4-4D89-80CD-5CB7E9EE7646.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 115

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back