Bull Little More Smoke

ADJWIS

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I’d like to add a little more amoke to my cooks aside from running the Lo setting. Any advice is appreciated!

AJ

Hey aj: I have a rt680, and I use the Amazing tube. You can get it on Amazon, or just about anywhere. Light with a small torch, and blow out in a few minutes. Lasts for a few hours. I also like the smokiness of the lumberjack competition blend pellets. The cookin pellets are good flavor as well

Have a good one,

Chris

Where in your pit do you put the Amazing Tube? Do you worry about it confusing the RTD probe?

You can put it anywhere, but if you're worried you could always just place it on the right side of the grill away from the probe.

Doesn't the smoke just go out the chimney then?

This is my decision paralysis, do I put it on the left side so smoke goes past the meat on the way out the stack and maybe give the RTD a false reading or do I put it on the right and have most of the smoke escape without flavoring the meat?

Another vote for the amazing tube here, or if you use bbqpelletsonline, they sell a knockoff called a "wedgie" that does the same general thing. They're super useful on their own, but they also definitely help add an extra punch of smoke.

I personally wouldn't be too worried about them confusing the RTD. Just keep them a few inches away. Only a few pellets are smoldering at a time compared relative to the size of the tube. Plus, they're meant to be used for cold smoking, so they really don't kick out that much heat at all.

But if you're worried about it, you should be able to put it just about anywhere on the grilling area. When the fan runs, it circulates air and smoke around the drum in kind of a vortex. That mixes the normal smoke with the smoke from the tube.

The amount of smoke generated is much larger than the amount that can escape out of the chimney, as you've probably seen. Think of all the smoke that escapes out from the lid, maybe the emblem, the grease trap, the top, etc. So you don't really have to worry about it all escaping via the chimney. A good bit will stay in and get circulated around and around a bunch of times until it finally escapes.

The only thing I'm not sure of is whether or not you want to keep the tube away from the edges since that's where air is circulating. The moving air might make the tube burn a little quicker than it would otherwise, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyone else know?

Another option is using some lavalock or other type of high temp grill gasket around the lid to lower the amount of smoke that can leak out, but this is surprisingly controversial and could interfere with functionality a bit (check out the forums, there's a number of posts about it).

Hi Does the 6" smoke tube work good. Can I get 4 hrs out of it?
Thanks Dan

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back