Little more smoke profile

hput2

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I know there has been tons of discussion about getting enough smoke using a pellet grill. I bought a 590 recently and was very disappointed at the lack of smoke it produced so I bought a smoke tube which was somewhat better. but we like a heavier smoke profile on most of our cooking and I kept trying to think of better ways to get a good bark. Yes I will cook the first hour or so on low so it has a better smoke but I would like a heaver smoke profile throughout the cook. A friend of mine who is a pitmaster in Southeastern New Mexico said he used green pecan in his restaurant and man it is really good food from there. It just so happens I have a pecan tree in my backyard and I had to trim some limbs so I thought I would get some small limbs about the size of a number two pencil or so and stick it in my smoke tube and fill it up with oak pellets and try that. It turned out to give the ribs and pork a little heavier smoke profile. Just thought I would add that to the Not enough smoke conversation.

Attachments

• 3CB05EFC-5647-4098-AB74-5F27C7FEE957.jpeg
    3CB05EFC-5647-4098-AB74-5F27C7FEE957.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 290
I'll try it too...

That’s what I do. I make mini splits out of seasoned wood and add pellets to keep it burning in the tube.

Attachments

• C68F409B-E394-4085-B944-58D1B4CF2414.jpeg
    C68F409B-E394-4085-B944-58D1B4CF2414.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 110
A smoke generator will get more smoke than a tube and can be refilled easily. Smoke Daddy and Smokai have varying sizes of generators among others. I use Smokai. Smoke Daddy doesn't recommend using pellets, chips/chunks only, whereas Smokai can use pellets/chips/chunks. For cold smoking, just turn the smoker fan on in test mode to keep from having stagnant smoke or use in conjunction with the smoker for hot smoking. You do need a port for injecting the smoke however so it requires drilling and mounting. I'm currently just using the probe hole on the Bull.

Newbe here. What does a bigger smoke ring produce. I just finished an 8 lb brisket, 3 hours at 225, and then wrapped nothing additional, in aluminum foil, upped the temp to 250, for 4 hours to reach 200 F. Smoke ring about 3/8 inch. Results were fine. Traeger combo pellets . Using 590 after 50 years lighting charcoal and then propane. Love the new Recteq.

Newbe here. What does a bigger smoke ring produce. I just finished an 8 lb brisket, 3 hours at 225, and then wrapped nothing additional, in aluminum foil, upped the temp to 250, for 4 hours to reach 200 F. Smoke ring about 3/8 inch. Results were fine. Traeger combo pellets . Using 590 after 50 years lighting charcoal and then propane. Love the new Recteq.
It is more about how much smoke flavor you like. I like a lot. Cooking a brisket on a stick burner and my RT700 are night and day. I tried 12 hours on the RT700 at 200 and then upped it to finish it off and it just OK as far as smoke flavor goes. Now I will cook my briskets on my stick burner for 8 or so hours and then move over to the RT700 to finish it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back