Bullseye Lid trouble

Had the same problem... Took the hinge off and had it tack welded in 4 places across both sides of the hinge..Then drilled 1/4 in holes on just the "END" holes...Used 1/4 in bolt with lock washer when I put it back together... $10.00 for the weld, in my area... friend did it for free, longer to set up the equipment that the welding time... Yes it is a quality control issue that RECTEQ should fix, just a week point ......

I’ve had a similar issue with the hinge bolt. The screw seems to back out every now and then and I just have to put it back in and tighten it back down. I might try to put some Loctite in the next time it does it so it doesn’t back out again.
yes I’ve had flareups with hamburgers as well. The deflector shield has holes in it so it’s not really designed to put foil on it to catch the drippings. I’ve put a small pan in the middle of the deflector shield where it’s solid but that doesn’t catch all of the drippings for all of the meat on the grill. I clean the inside of my grill every now and then to get the drippings in other crud out of there. And then vacuum the firebox clean. I do that about every 5 to 6 cooks.

I am brand new to the Bullseye club, having only hours ago finished assembly. I have an issue with my lid not closing completely. I have approximately a quarter inch gap at the handle. I assembled and reassembled to be certain I followed the manual and instructional video, but no change.

Has anyone seen this issue on the forum, or experienced this for themselves? I emailed customer support with photos. Being Memorial Day weekend I don't expect a response until Tuesday though.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210528_213632.jpg
    20210528_213632.jpg
    897.9 KB · Views: 112
Is there a possibility the hinge isn't installed correctly?

I am brand new to the Bullseye club, having only hours ago finished assembly. I have an issue with my lid not closing completely. I have approximately a quarter inch gap at the handle. I assembled and reassembled to be certain I followed the manual and instructional video, but no change.

Has anyone seen this issue on the forum, or experienced this for themselves? I emailed customer support with photos. Being Memorial Day weekend I don't expect a response until Tuesday though.

Thanks!
Hey @bcox - I think I have a similar or same issue.

I got my Bullseye in July of last year(I believe the 3rd batch of releases) and when I put mine together, I had a grap just like and it also leaned to the left to where I couldn't open hopper lid all the way to where it won't stand up by itself. Does your do that also? That was really my main concern.

My dad got a Bullseye also but the next release after that. His lid closes fine.

Going back to mine, so I troubleshot with RecTeq support. We first tried a new hinge - same result. We then tried a whole new lid - same issue. But I started to mess with the screws more on the hinge and was able to make it work. The 3 screws that go into the hinge are not screwed in all the way. I would have to look at which ones are not as screwed in but I have it now so my lid works properly so I would suggest that. I had some extra of those pieces you put between the washer and screw so I double or tripled those up to make it tight still but not screwed in all the way. My lid still has a small gap(similar to yours) but I can open my hopper lid which is what I wanted. The gap is a good thing believe it or not. Since this is a pellet grill, air flow is super important especially for getting high temps. So try that but if you can open your hopper lid fine and it stays open on it's own, you should be fine with that gap. Some people buy a weber tool holder to make sure there is a gap.

As far as the original question of this thread with hinges, my dad just had his hinge break the exact way you all are talking about. It was 3 bad welds and yeah, his broke. Luckily because of the situation I described above, I had an extra hinge I installed on my dad's grill and in the meantime, RecTeq support sent him out another one.

Going back to you @bcox - when I installed my old hinge on my dad's grill - it went on fine and grill lid closed fine and does NOT need any messing with like mine. So obviously there is something different on my Bullseye(perhaps the 3 drilled holes on the grill?) compared to my dad's.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Bullseye. I use it 3 to 5 times a week. I don't miss my Weber gas grill at all. I can cook foods with smoke on low and also cook at MUCH higher temps than I could before.

I think some people compare the quality of like the Bull or even Stampede to the Bullseye and I don't think that's fair. It is all about perspective to me. The Bullseye controller I have noticed does not respond as well as my Bull...it isn't even close (and by respond, I mean change temps up or down) but I think that is to be expected. RecTeq wanted to make an affordable good(not great) product. I believe they have with a grill retailing at $399. Maybe I would be more critical if I didn't have my Bull? I don't know but it to me is a perfect companion to the Bull.

Thanks!
I installed my hinge backwards the first time, check it as it was not clear. I turned it around and all good. Reguardless RT CS is excellent and will fix it for you so no worries! Welcome!

FYI I love my Bullseye, have cooked on it 3 times this week. Chicken Breast, which by the way are sky high now, Sausages and tonight Pizza with the granddaughter helping me!

She told me it was the best pizza she has ever had!
That is all I needed!

Thanks!
I'm sure bcox has dealt with his lid problem by now, so this is for the next person whose lid won't close..

1) While the lid is still connected to the hinge, remove the hinge pin by unscrewing one of the screws on either end, and slide out the pin..
2) With the lid in the closed position with the hinges properly placed in relation to each other you will see in the attached image, the holes don't match up and that is why the lid won't close.
1707064907535.png

3) With a sharp pencil, on the inside of the hinge, trace below the bottom of the upper hinge hole by pencil tracing around the bottom of the hole in the lower hinge, so as to show how far down you want to elongate the upper hinge hole.
4) Unscrew the upper hinge from the lid and clamp the upper hinge into a good strong vice. [clamp a flat part of the hinge so as not to change it's shape.}
5) Insert a 3/8" drill bit into a good strong drill and press that bit against the bottom of your hole to extend the bottom of the hole until it reaches your pencil mark. [This goes a lot quicker if you position the hinge so that you are pressing down on the drill bit while extending the hole downward]
6) re-attach the hinge to the lid, properly place the lid on the cooker and the hinge pin should slide right in.
7) Tighten the screws on each end of the hinge pin and your're done and, if you extended the hole downward enough, the lid should fit perfectly.
note. be sure to wear safety glasses while drilling....lots of little metal slivers

I'm sure bcox has dealt with his lid problem by now, so this is for the next person whose lid won't close..

1) While the lid is still connected to the hinge, remove the hinge pin by unscrewing one of the screws on either end, and slide out the pin..
2) With the lid in the closed position with the hinges properly placed in relation to each other you will see in the attached image, the holes don't match up and that is why the lid won't close.View attachment 21128
3) With a sharp pencil, on the inside of the hinge, trace below the bottom of the upper hinge hole by pencil tracing around the bottom of the hole in the lower hinge, so as to show how far down you want to elongate the upper hinge hole.
4) Unscrew the upper hinge from the lid and clamp the upper hinge into a good strong vice. [clamp a flat part of the hinge so as not to change it's shape.}
5) Insert a 3/8" drill bit into a good strong drill and press that bit against the bottom of your hole to extend the bottom of the hole until it reaches your pencil mark. [This goes a lot quicker if you position the hinge so that you are pressing down on the drill bit while extending the hole downward]
6) re-attach the hinge to the lid, properly place the lid on the cooker and the hinge pin should slide right in.
7) Tighten the screws on each end of the hinge pin and your're done and, if you extended the hole downward enough, the lid should fit perfectly.
note. be sure to wear safety glasses while drilling....lots of little metal slivers
That is not how the hinge should fit the lid on the original Bullseye, that notch on the upper hinge should fit around the lip on the lid

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back