Bullseye Lid trouble

Chief

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Purchased the new SS Bullseye in mid 2020 and generally have been happy with it with the exception of 2 issues. First, I’ve had issues with flare ups cooking hamburgers when 6 or more patties are on the grill. I always use 80/20 beef and usually cook at 450 to 475 grill temp. I’m talking pretty good fires. The second issue freaked me out...REALLY. Let me first say, I take very good care of my grill. Having said that, last week I was cooking hamburgers (no flare ups this time) but when I opened the lid and let go of it (SERIOUSLY) the hinge broke and the lid fell to the ground. The part of the hinge that screws into the lid broke at both connection points to the hinge. Has anyone else had this problem and any suggestions on the burger flare ups???
Cudos to Rectec Customer service they quickly sent me a new lid and hinge.

I have been looking for a smaller fold up type pellet grill for camping for quite a while and was going to get a Bullseye when they came out but they were always sold out when I tried to get one. After seeing a friends Bullseye up close I checked this grill off the list, it cooks great, food came out great and insane high heat but it is very flimsily and a little over priced for what it is, no folding legs for over the road camping use.

Last edited:
Purchased the new SS Bullseye in mid 2020 and generally have been happy with it with the exception of 2 issues. First, I’ve had issues with flare ups cooking hamburgers when 6 or more patties are on the grill. I always use 80/20 beef and usually cook at 450 to 475 grill temp. I’m talking pretty good fires. The second issue freaked me out...REALLY. Let me first say, I take very good care of my grill. Having said that, last week I was cooking hamburgers (no flare ups this time) but when I opened the lid and let go of it (SERIOUSLY) the hinge broke and the lid fell to the ground. The part of the hinge that screws into the lid broke at both connection points to the hinge. Has anyone else had this problem and any suggestions on the burger flare ups???
Cudos to Rectec Customer service they quickly sent me a new lid and hinge.
I've seen someone on Facebook mention their hinge failing, but no details were given.

On the flare ups you can put a pan with water in it on top of the diffuser to catch the drippings.

The hinge on my grill just broke yesterday in the middle of a cook. It's really hard to cook holding the lid in one hand.

I thought the screws had stripped or backed out but after looking at it the screws are still in but the hinge is still screwed to the lid but the hinge broke clean at the seam.

The hinge on my grill just broke yesterday in the middle of a cook. It's really hard to cook holding the lid in one hand.

I thought the screws had stripped or backed out but after looking at it the screws are still in but the hinge is still screwed to the lid but the hinge broke clean at the seam.
I bet RT will get the replacement to you in no time (y)

The spot welds on the hinge and the internal brackets for the deflector and the grate are not good. If I still had access to a welder, I’d fix the welds before they break.

Since people are involved in the manufacture of most products; This is bound to occur. I haven't seen reports of hinges being an issue. With that said, the welds on the grill aren't overly impressive. But, I doubt they have a $50.00/Hr welder doing the work.

Yea same as mine and I discovered just how easy it is to get burned trying to get the lid off and on without hinges

I have been looking for a smaller fold up type pellet grill for camping for quite a while and was going to get a Bullseye when they came out but they were always sold out when I tried to get one. After seeing a friends Bullseye up close I checked this grill off the list, it cooks great, food came out great and insane high heat but it is very flimsily and a little over priced for what it is, no folding legs for over the road camping use.
I understand why Rectec created the Bullseye, but its construction is 180 degrees different than their other quality constructed grills. From a business stand point I think they may have been better off producing high quality constructed grills only because like you, I’ll never buy another Bullseye, they are poorly constructed. I had my son and a nephew sold on Rectec and Bullseye grills and both have scratched off any Rectec product and are now looking very hard at the Louisiana pellet grills. The only reason I’m still a Rectec fan is because their customer service.

I understand why Rectec created the Bullseye, but its construction is 180 degrees different than their other quality constructed grills. From a business stand point I think they may have been better off producing high quality constructed grills only because like you, I’ll never buy another Bullseye, they are poorly constructed. I had my son and a nephew sold on Rectec and Bullseye grills and both have scratched off any Rectec product and are now looking very hard at the Louisiana pellet grills. The only reason I’m still a Rectec fan is because their customer service.
IMHO The Bullseye seems to be a value at $400 for a pellet grill? I'm not sure of the above mentioned price point.

I purchased the Bullseye to be a Weber kettle replacement so I didn't have to mess with charcoal. I've had my issues but all seems to be good for now.

I bought a Bullseye to compliment my RT590. Put it together yesterday. It does seem a little flimsy compared to the 590, but most reviews I have read have been good, so giving it a shot. I am anxious to get it going.

That being said, I did have a problem with my hinge, Seems very loose on one side.
I emailed support and they got back to me this am. I need to send pictures, go figure. I guess they think I installed it wrong!

I bought a Bullseye to compliment my RT590. Put it together yesterday. It does seem a little flimsy compared to the 590, but most reviews I have read have been good, so giving it a shot. I am anxious to get it going.

That being said, I did have a problem with my hinge, Seems very loose on one side.
I emailed support and they got back to me this am. I need to send pictures, go figure. I guess they think I installed it wrong!
The lid is loose fitting / flimsy but so far no issues. For some reason I think I installed mine wrong and re-watched the video.

IMHO The Bullseye seems to be a value at $400 for a pellet grill? I'm not sure of the above mentioned price point.

I purchased the Bullseye to be a Weber kettle replacement so I didn't have to mess with charcoal. I've had my issues but all seems to be good for now.
Thanks, I thought it was reasonable for a pellet grill and I like the way my 590 works, no problems with it!
I am glad to hear you like yours.

Just got off the phone with support and they are sending a new hinge and some hi temp black spray paint.

The paint is because I had a hopper fire a week ago and it melted a lot of the powder paint off the hopper inside and out.

The fire appears to have been caused by the vents getting clogged. I thought I doing a good job keeping the grill clean but the vents did have some build up.

I did a test cook and the grill did heat up better after cleaning the vents real well. It was during that cook that the hinge broke.

Just got off the phone with support and they are sending a new hinge and some hi temp black spray paint.

The paint is because I had a hopper fire a week ago and it melted a lot of the powder paint off the hopper inside and out.

The fire appears to have been caused by the vents getting clogged. I thought I doing a good job keeping the grill clean but the vents did have some build up.

I did a test cook and the grill did heat up better after cleaning the vents real well. It was during that cook that the hinge broke.
How did you clean the vents?

Thanks for the information. I had no idea that this was a possibility but makes sense.

I sent a video of my hinge problem when I got home. They confirmed almost immediately that the problem I am having is not normal, and it could be a "manufacturing issue" and are sending me another $9.98 hinge. I asked if there was a $30.00 hinge I could upgrade to!😂, unfortunately they only have 1 type of hinge!

Despite my sarcasm they were very prompt and helpful.

I do hope it works well, I am looking forward to using my Bullseye.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back