Lid question, will it bend?

vegsmoke

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I took delivery of my Bull on Monday. Despite the slight UPS issue - damaged box and dent on the hopper lid it’s awesome. I’ve cooked on it a couple of times and notice that when I lift the lid with my left hand (on left horn) the left part of the lid lifts up off the grill before the right side. If I lift the right horn the whole lid lifts evenly off the smoker. May sound stupid but I just don’t want to bend the lid over time because I usually lift with my left hand. Has anyone had their lids bend over the years from this?

Never. In fact, I recently commented and posted a link to a Traeger video where the same thing happened, and I was surprised that was even possible for grills in this price range. I’d take a video and send it to recteq support.

Have no fear, you”re not alone. Mine does the same thing. Fortunately, now that I know the secret, I won’t share it with the squirrels. Lol.

I can only assume that the length of the cover combined with the clearances and upward forces of lifting causes it to torque and subsequently catch on the opposite side as there is no true lateral support for the size of the cover. I dont think it helped that the tight packing and shipping/delivery company personnel were the descendants of the old Samsonite Gorilla if they handled it the way they handled mine. I would be willing to bet that if I used a thin wooden wedge or chisel and slammed it down on the side that sticks it would correct itself however, my time in Japan and understanding of the concept of “wabi sabi” makes it unique and therefore beautiful.
It can be countered by opening it slower but if perfection is what you seek, RecTeq customer is phenomenal and could easily remedy any concerns you may have. Based on your post and the investment you made, you will probably be happier going that route especially since you will be reminded of the defect every time you fill the hopper. Just my two cents worth.

I can only assume that the length of the cover combined with the clearances and upward forces of lifting causes it to torque and subsequently catch on the opposite side as there is no true lateral support for the size of the cover. I dont think it helped that the tight packing and shipping/delivery company personnel were the descendants of the old Samsonite Gorilla if they handled it the way they handled mine. I would be willing to bet that if I used a thin wooden wedge or chisel and slammed it down on the side that sticks it would correct itself however, my time in Japan and understanding of the concept of “wabi sabi” makes it unique and therefore beautiful.
It can be countered by opening it slower but if perfection is what you seek, RecTeq customer is phenomenal and could easily remedy any concerns you may have. Based on your post and the investment you made, you will probably be happier going that route especially since you will be reminded of the defect every time you fill the hopper. Just my two cents worth.
I’m not referring to the hopper lid, they’re already sending me a new one. I’m referring to the smoker lid with the horns on it.

@vegsmoke I agree with @Greg Jones. My lid doesn’t twist at all and I can’t imagine yours is working as designed. You can wait and see if it gets worse (great 6 year warranty) but personally I would let customer service know and get it taken care of now.

I agree. Check your hinges and spacing. However, I use fto always question those that go "horns-out"....(not that you did, or did you?)..because physics says, that puts more torque on the lid....J's*

Mine does same thing. Not concerned at this point. There's no gap anywhere or other indicators of it being off in any way.

I would bet your lit hinges are not tight or need some adjustment..That lid is just 2 heavy 2 bend..OK you could run over it with a truck LOL...

I inspected the hinges. They are tight. It looks like there is more play (room) on the left circular tube thing that the hinge goes into on the lid. It wiggles a bit compared to the right side (no wiggle). I'm assuming due to the heaviness of the lid, the looses comes into play.

I agree. Check your hinges and spacing. However, I use fto always question those that go "horns-out"....(not that you did, or did you?)..because physics says, that puts more torque on the lid....J's*

Horn are like they're supposed to be.

Mine does same thing. Not concerned at this point. There's no gap anywhere or other indicators of it being off in any way.

Same, no gap at all. I replied to Dean that the left circular tube thing that the hinge goes into on the lid is looser (not as tight of a fit) as the right side. So when lifting from just the left horn the looses on the hinge/lid contact point comes into play.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back