Lid FireBlack Gasket Question

GOOD NEWS! The Nomex gaskets worked very well. I only put them on the top and bottom edges, attached to the inside of the lid. While cooking my chicken at 375 degrees, I did not notice much in the way of smoke leakage from the top or bottom. There was a little staining on the sides but nothing even close to what I had experienced previously. I am not sure what my experience will be when I do a lower temp cook that produces lots of smoke. I will keep everyone posted on this aspect.

I plan to keep using this lid until the promised replacement arrives. Hopefully the replacement will come with gaskets installed. If the replacement solves the side leakage, I will switch. If not, I will continue work with this one.

I just got an RT700 yesterday and put the 1/8" x 1/2" Fireblack gasket all the way around my lid, right along the edge, and nothing comes out of the lid when smoking at 180. My lid fit pretty well before the gasket install, but I didn't cook with it that way so I don't have a baseline with which to judge it.

GOOD NEWS! The Nomex gaskets worked very well. I only put them on the top and bottom edges, attached to the inside of the lid. While cooking my chicken at 375 degrees, I did not notice much in the way of smoke leakage from the top or bottom. There was a little staining on the sides but nothing even close to what I had experienced previously. I am not sure what my experience will be when I do a lower temp cook that produces lots of smoke. I will keep everyone posted on this aspect.

I plan to keep using this lid until the promised replacement arrives. Hopefully the replacement will come with gaskets installed. If the replacement solves the side leakage, I will switch. If not, I will continue work with this one.
I only sealed the top and bottom areas of the lid and have had the same results as you. I have done many low temperature 180 degree extrem smoke with a smoke tube and the grills exterior stays clean.
The new lid will not have gaskets mainly because RecTec doesn't recommend them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back