LET THE BURN IN BEGIN!

TexasManInCajunLand

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Just got 'ol Toreaux up and running for the initial burn in! :)

I do have a question regarding smoke at 400 degrees, because I have none. Lol! I'm pretty certain that the Traeger pellets that I picked up might be the reason though because after looking into them a bit more I saw that they weren't the best option. But hey...you live & learn. So I suppose the question is should I be seeing smoke right now, or did I screw myself and get some shitty pellets?

Thanks in advance to all that can assist me here.

Darrell

Just got 'ol Toreaux up and running for the initial burn in! :)

I do have a question regarding smoke at 400 degrees, because I have none. Lol! I'm pretty certain that the Traeger pellets that I picked up might be the reason though because after looking into them a bit more I saw that they weren't the best option. But hey...you live & learn. So I suppose the question is should I be seeing smoke right now, or did I screw myself and get some shitty pellets?

Thanks in advance to all that can assist me here.

Darrell
What pellets are you using. With the Rec Tec The higher the temp the less smoke. If you want a lot of smoke start at low-180 for a while. Then turn up to higher temperatures to finish the cook. I always do my steaks at 180 until internal temp of 110. The boost to 500 degrees until 135 internal.

That’s kind of what I figured, but just wanted to make sure everything was working as it should. You know...kind of like when your baby first pops out! Lol

As I’d mentioned in the original post I picked up some Traeger pellets (Hickory), and was just wondering if I made a bad choice. That said, I will be picking up some of the LJ, RT or Cooking Pellets (I think that’s what they’re called) brand to use from here on out. I know those seem to have all gotten some pretty good results.

Is that the “reverse sear” you’re doing on your steaks? I’ve seen mention of it, but I haven’t really looked into it yet.

Oh! And I been testing temps and dropped it down to 350 and I’m getting some pretty decent smoke out of it now, so that’s a good sign. :)

That’s kind of what I figured, but just wanted to make sure everything was working as it should. You know...kind of like when your baby first pops out! Lol

As I’d mentioned in the original post I picked up some Traeger pellets (Hickory), and was just wondering if I made a bad choice. That said, I will be picking up some of the LJ, RT or Cooking Pellets (I think that’s what they’re called) brand to use from here on out. I know those seem to have all gotten some pretty good results.

Is that the “reverse sear” you’re doing on your steaks? I’ve seen mention of it, but I haven’t really looked into it yet.

Oh! And I been testing temps and dropped it down to 350 and I’m getting some pretty decent smoke out of it now, so that’s a good sign. :)

You are on the right track. If you want a better sear it’s probably a good idea to get the sear plates. One side gives the seared lines, other side is flat and gives a broader wide sear, no lines.??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back