Trailblazer Lavalock Gasket Install

navydroid

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Trailblazer
So I didn't bother putting any gasket on my Bull. It seems to hold temp well and keep the smoke in. It also remains in it's holy spot in the smoke shed, out of the elements, at all times.
We just got the Trailblazer to take camping and I noticed a lot of smoke loss around the door and vents so I installed lavalock gasket. I also put it on the top of the hopper as we never know what kind of weather or climate we will find ourselves in
20190406_191856.jpg
20190406_191906.jpg
20190406_191931.jpg

Hey everyone, first post! I'm here after just assembling and burning in my Trailblazer last night (and then having one of the best ribeyes of my life, thx RecTec!), and I found this thread after looking for a way to seal my hopper door, especially after seeing how older pellets can create issues due to absorbed moisture. Was surprised they didn't gasket the hopper door from the factory accordingly. Any thoughts on that aspect?

FWIW, I'm now also interested in gasketing the barrel door... I've read all the pros and cons, and as a professional thermal-fluids engineer, I'm leaning towards the "do it" camp!

Hey everyone, first post! I'm here after just assembling and burning in my Trailblazer last night (and then having one of the best ribeyes of my life, thx RecTec!), and I found this thread after looking for a way to seal my hopper door, especially after seeing how older pellets can create issues due to absorbed moisture. Was surprised they didn't gasket the hopper door from the factory accordingly. Any thoughts on that aspect?

FWIW, I'm now also interested in gasketing the barrel door... I've read all the pros and cons, and as a professional thermal-fluids engineer, I'm leaning towards the "do it" camp!

This is what I used in the pics and I love it. Works like a champ and I've noticed absolutely no negative results.

LavaLock 12 GREY High Performance BBQ gasket smoker seal SELF STICK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F9FE60K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_XbMcDbTC4E4EN

Thanks Greg, I wish I applied the gasket to the lid my bull when new. It is a mess now and will need a lot of elbow grease to clean before I can do it now. Don't see a need for the pellet cover.
Poorly designed lid but it is what it is.
Happy Grilling!

Thanks Greg, I wish I applied the gasket to the lid my bull when new. It is a mess now and will need a lot of elbow grease to clean before I can do it now. Don't see a need for the pellet cover.
Poorly designed lid but it is what it is.
Happy Grilling!
Actually regarding the pellet lid, that was the only thing I just sealed in the fall.
You see, I had heavy (hard as glass) carbon buildup in the auger tube. Took out a couple of shear pins and an auger motor. Shutdown during several cooks.
I finally reamed out the auger tube and it has worked perfectly all winter.
My thought was the smoke pathway up through the auger tube and out the lid eventually led to the carbon buildup.
Being.proactive with this a a preventative solution.
Love my mini (and Bull).

Wow. Did you see smoke coming out of the pellet hopper? How the heck could the carbon build up in the auger when when it is spinning and scraping the sides.
Do you use a pellet tube?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back