Lacking Smoke flavor

Deepfork

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Tried smoking ribs for the first time on my Bullseye. Went 3 hours on low so it was around 200 degrees, then wrapped in foil at 225 for 1 hour, and then 20-30 minutes at 225 without foil. The meat is cooked perfect but it doesn't have a smoke ring and doesn't really taste like it was smoked. I'm using Pit Boss Hardwood Competition pellets. How did I screw this up?

Last edited:
I noticed once it goes past 200, it doesn’t produce much smoke. So you can start at 200 for an hour and adjust your cook time and or add a smoke tube for extra smoke. I do both and get good results.

Pellet grills will never get the amount of smoke that a stick burner will, but you can certainly smoke them at 180-200 for a bit and then finish them off at 225/250 (or higher).

Like Traveler....I am a big fan of smoke tubes when you have a relatively short cook or just want more smoke flavor.

Spraying your ribs every 45-60 minutes with something (apple juice, apple cider, whatever) will help smoke adhere (for lack of a better term). Smoke is attracted to wet surfaces.

Just tried hickory on a butt I did for today, came out smokier then the Competition I've been using, both being Bear Mtn. You can also add a smoke tube, which I did not do this time. I'd like to try some mesquite but so far can't find it locally. From what I've read, Mesquite is the strongest, Hickory being the next step down.

Inject with a quality liquid smoke, pellet grills don't do much to impart flavor to the meat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back