Korean BBQ fail (kind of)

PSU-85

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Went to one of the local butchers yesterday. Wasn’t sure what I find but they have the best bacon, hams and sweet bologna so I always bring something home. They had some short ribs (flanken cut) so I grabbed three nice sized ones for my Sunday dinner. Wife and son are out of town and turn their nose up to fat so they probably wouldn’t have enjoyed them anyway.

I searched quite a few web sites and while the marinades were fairly consistent quite a few sites recommended hot and fast for the cooking method. I cranked up the Bull to 500 and cooked the ribs to 160 internal. While the flavor was very good I think low and slow would have been better to break down some of the connective tissue. I didn’t wear out the jaws chewing them but if they had been more tender this attempt at Korean short ribs would have been a big success.

Anyone ever cooks these ribs before? Is low and slow the preferred method or is the texture the nature of the meat?

Attachments

• 12691230-DF9F-4730-BC1B-52ECBF3771D4.jpeg
    12691230-DF9F-4730-BC1B-52ECBF3771D4.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 175
  • E2580259-B627-4331-86A3-6D2B7D32AFAA.jpeg
    E2580259-B627-4331-86A3-6D2B7D32AFAA.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 77
I have made Korean Short Ribs a lot. They are always marinated and they cook hot and fast on a grill. You can also broil them.

There is a lot of connective tissue and in my experience, this cut of rib does not have the same characteristics of a regular short rib where you want that connective tissue to break down over a long period of time.

These are very chewy and there really isn't enough meat on them to cook them low and slow, based on the way they are cut which is very thin and flanken style.

Marinate, overnight if allowable, then hot and fast on the grill. Growing up in a Korean household (mother) this was a “staple” meal aka Kalbi, along with Bulgogi. Anytime I make theses I break out my Weber kettle and burn charcoal, haven’t tossed these on my RT yet and likely won’t as “don’t fix what isn’t broke” comes to mind, IMO.

Hot and fast right over the heat source is best. Marinades vary, but we usually go with soy, sugar/honey/agave, sesame oil, miso, scallions, grated ginger and garlic, togarashi or other red chili to taste. Grated daikon if we have it. Overnight in this. Throw on the grill. When you flip, dredge in marinade before you throw them back on. Makes a mess on the grill, but it’s worth it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back