Kirkland Signature Pellets

These pellets snap in half more easily than the other pellets I’ve tried, so this might mean they’d be more likely to break instead of causing a jam.

What are all of your thoughts on the fact that it says “100% Natural” instead of “100% Hardwood” on the package?
That is exactly what I noticed too. My guess is there is something other than wood in those pellets. Lumberjack clearly states 100% tree fiber, no additives.

That doesn't make them bad, but that wording could be misleading.

1659627857045.png

I just dumped the first bag of these into my 1250 a couple nights ago and they will likely start flowing into the auger on my next cook. My first impression dumping them in was that there were a LOT of really long pellets and of all the brands I've tried so far, I've never seen any that long. As others have said here, I hope I don't have issues with an auger jam or etc. Depending on how it goes, I may just stick with my Sam's Club blue bag pellets. I really like that flavor profile (50/50 Oak / Hickory) the best anyway, so an extra $2 isn't bad. Sadly, I can only find the blue bag when I visit my parents, so I have to stock up at the right times.

Wanted to give an update. I'm on my 3rd bag now and they run fine. No flare-ups or anything stuck in the auger. It does seem to have a little more ash but if all I have to do is clean it more I'm ok for that price. The smoke flavor is fine to me, but I don't have the most sensitive taste buds. They were running low so I bought 5 more bags to make sure I don't run out.

Other forums indicate the Kirkland pellets are made by Pit Boss. How they know this, I don't know. I normally use Bear Mountain, but there is really nothing unacceptable (to me) about these pellets. They work fine, they give good color and smoke, so I will continue to use them when I can't get my Bear Mountain Bold.

I picked up 2 bags at my local Costco (SoCal). They had about 60 bags left on the floor. A lesson I learned is that they do not keep them near the BBQ aisle and outdoor equipment at my store. They have them in the cleaning supplies area and you would never know they were there. If you can’t find them at you store, ask the manager just in case. If you want to save on gas, give your store a call, hit 1 for Administrative Services and ask for Item #1610159, Kirkland Pellets. Hope this helps.

I got a little bored today so I am in the process of evaluating Kirkland branded pellets for an 8 hour chuck roast cook as we speak. I’ll post the results when it finishes. Right now, I see a significant difference in the amount of smoke compared to the other brands I have used. This is especially apparent since it is pretty hot here in SoCal today and the pellet consumption is less than usual.

Ultimately, the taste will be the final arbiter of success.

I am in the process of evaluating Kirkland branded pellets for a 8 hour chuck roast cook as we speak. I figured I‘s start with a faster cook and cheaper cut (if you call $6.99/lb cheap) before I try a 15+ hour cook. I’ll post the results when it finishes. Right now, I see a significant difference in the amount of smoke (more) compared to the other brands I have used. This is especially apparent since it is pretty hot here in SoCal today and the pellet consumption is less than usual.

Ultimately, the taste will be the final arbiter of success.

I gave the Kirkland pellets a spin today. It was three racks of beef back ribs and a good sized tin of mini bella mushrooms. The ribs were done with a bit of canola oil and Heffer Dust. The mushrooms had lemon garlic olive oil, balsamic vinegar and Loco Gringo rub.

The ribs went for six hours at 225. The mushrooms were in for the final two hours. I was at about 190 on the ribs at six hours and they were ready to go. They could have lasted longer and still been fine.

The Kirkland pellets did a solid job. I ran my Bull empty for an hour to make sure I had no issues with temperature or jams before cooking. They held temperature well and produced about the same ash as my trusty Lumberjack. At the Costco price, hard to argue with the results. Dinner was fantastic and plenty of leftovers for tomorrow.

20220820_114903.jpg

20220820_180517.jpg

20220820_180933.jpg

Hi 👋🏻 20 year Costco employee here and bbq addict. I wanted to address the question who makes what, well simply put none of those companies do. What we do is find a smaller company that we can work with develop a recipe this is the “Kirkland signature” part of the business so in short yes there’s a tremendous amount of work trial and error in every Kirkland product we do our absolute best to put out a top notch product.
It's funny I'm a retired truck driver. I once picked up a load of fancy Costco Shampoo that was labeled as being made in Vermont lol I picked it up at the manufacturer in Boise Idaho. Now that was 25 years ago but it's funny how many products are repackaged lol.

Can confirm a suspected feed issue with the Kirkland pellets. Not sure exactly what happened but ended up with a fire in the auger and having to empt out the hopper on my 1070. 2/3 cooks have been fine with them.
Joined for this thread. Just tried my Costco pellets for the first time and temp set to 225… ran to 300 at one point but eventually settled down. Not sure if pellets or normal. Then heard a loud pop this morning fire creeping up behind the meat (RT 700) and tons of smoke. I’m still learning not sure what happened either time but these pellets are noticeably longer than any other I’ve seen. Was wondering if this would be a higher maintenance pellet and it is.

When did you last clean the fire box, most clean it out after something like 2 or 3 cooks.

Hi 👋🏻 20 year Costco employee here and bbq addict. I wanted to address the question who makes what, well simply put none of those companies do. What we do is find a smaller company that we can work with develop a recipe this is the “Kirkland signature” part of the business so in short yes there’s a tremendous amount of work trial and error in every Kirkland product we do our absolute best to put out a top notch product.

One post and gone........interesting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back