Just wanted to confirm this is normal?

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
I set the temp to 375. The actual temp was around 430ish, the fan began pausing ever 1 or 2 seconds. "On/off". Is that normal?

Also, anyone notice a difference in temp actuals? I did my burn in at 400, but actual on the 700 vs in the app was like 10 to 15 degrees lower.

The fan pausing is normal if the temp is higher than the set point.. you might need to calibrate the RTD probe.. not sure. I really never had to mess with mine much.

A call to Recteq might help if it continues.

Thanks guys. Yeah, so the pause is normal.

But I have to figure out the actual temp being off. Even the probe is off. I was using probeA and it read 165. But when I used my instant read, it was off about 10 to 12 degrees.

While I agree, I like to confirm my chicken temp. Lol
This is why it is nice to have an independent temperature measuring device that can be easily calibrated. We just purchased and are now using a ThermoWorks Signal unit to check internal smoke chamber temperatures as well as to monitor meat temperatures. You check and calibrate, if necessary, the ThermoWorks probes using an ice bath that creates a true 32F temperature source. You can also cross-check with boiling water if you do an offset correlation to account for altitude. Boiling temperature (ostensibly 212F) is significantly affected by high altitude. Check this link for a forum discussion on this: https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/proper-ice-baths-for-testing-probe-grill-accuracy.5065/

Once you have checked/calibrated your independent thermometer, you can then check the internal temperature of the smoke chamber and calibrate, it necessary. You can also check the calibration of the meat probes with this known source.

Now, as to the overshoot, until the grill gets fully up to temp (think 20-30 minutes), it is normal to see some significant overshoots. Once the unit gets up to temp and stabilized, you shouldn’t see much in the way of overshoot unless you open the lid for a significant period of time or are in the midst of very cold, windy weather.

Thanks guys. Yeah, so the pause is normal.

But I have to figure out the actual temp being off. Even the probe is off. I was using probeA and it read 165. But when I used my instant read, it was off about 10 to 12 degrees.
The pause is normal. It's not "Fanning the flames".
Make sure your Probe A is not laying directly on the steel grate, that'll give you inaccurate ambient temp.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back