Bull Just ordered another 100+ lbs

DenStinett

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
We've had our Bull for right at a year now
I use many Alder and add Smoke and Flavor using "Flavored" Pellets in a Smoke Tube
Our very first "Hopper Load" was a 50/50 mix of Oak and Alder, which is what we always used in our Offset
We found that THAT didn't translate to a Pellet Smoker all that well
As of today, we have gone through 420 lbs of Alder, and 40 lbs of Competition Blend and one 20 lb Bag of Oak Pellets
OH, and there's still a half Bag of Cherry out there

We just ordered another 100 lbs of Alder and 20 lb Bag of Comp Blend
Kidda curious as to how much, or how often y'all go through Pellets ? :unsure:
Not sure if just shy of 500 lbs is a little, or a lot
Inquiring minds wanna know ;)

i seem to average around 60lbs a month. sometimes more sometimes less
Wow .... that's over 700 pounds a year ! o_O
That's a lot Barbecue .... for You, Momma and ???
We cook for just the two of us, but ....
I'll load up the Bull, eat a meal of _________ , Vac-u-seal and freeze the rest for another day
We'll eat Barbeque 4-5 days a week
Or, we'll dice up some _________ to add to a big Salad, make Burritos, Tacos or sliced it up for Sandwiches

60lbs is just an estimate. im always dumping another 20 in her. but i do alot of hi temp cooks. doing 8 16in pizzas today for a birthday party. will be at 500 for over an hr for sure. that burns pellets fast.
Time to install the second auger motor (y) 2 motors, twice the heat.

Wow .... that's over 700 pounds a year…
I’ve tracked my usage in the past and it’s a lot of pellets on an annual basis. The last detailed usage I tracked was from mid-December 2020 to mid-April 2021, in 4 months time I used 440# and I estimate I’ve already used over 1k pellets total for 2021. I’ll do an actual count for 2021 at the end of December.

Most of the time I’m only cooking for 2 of us, and we have a third when my son is home most of summer and holidays from college. However, I use the recteqs for about everything. I cook my breakfast on them, most things I bake go in a recteq instead of the indoor oven, and I hot sear and do any frying on them to keep the smoke and splatter out of the house.

Thanks for all the input
Wow .... sounds like we're on the low side of average then
We'll do an 8 hr "LO" and Slow for Brisket, Porkbutt etc, but mainly LO to 350, except for the occasional Papa Murphy's or heating-up the Grill Grates 425 to "FUL"

I bought my 1250 in early September. I haven't been cooking like a fiend, but I think I'm over 260# so far. Admittedly a lot of this has been experimenting, so it's been good times and so far nothing really disappointing from burgers to brisket, a flock of birds, and some various pork delicacies...even grilled corn and zucchini. Maybe 5 really long cooks and a bunch of shorter trips out back.

I thought I was told a rule of thumb is 1lb of pellets per hour. Is this wrong? I am still waiting for my grill so I am not able to say if that is correct.

The pellet consumption is directly related to your cooking temperatures. That said, I estimate that for a long cook in the 250 +/- range, I probably go through about a pound an hour give or take. I really don't pay much attention though other than checking the hopper before firing up the grill.

Yeah, I just top off the Hopper before each cook
But, I've never thought much about how much I add
I do know, that when the Storage Container gets empty, it holds 80 lbs, plus 20 in the Hopper
RecTec Toolbox.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back