Just ate at Goldies, 2021 State of Texas best barbecue!

Ray Ray's Hog Pit here in Ohio is on par with the best Texas can churn out "my buddy agrees who lives in Austin and has had must eat BBQ from the region", James has been quite a success story and has partnered with local breweries as well. Oh and I have one of his walk up/drive through pits walking distance from my house. ;)

https://rayrayshogpit.com/
JP’s BBQ in Columbus was pretty darn good when I lived there, but that’s been awhile now.

There are very few places for which I am willing to wait more than 30 minutes. There are no places for which I am willing to wait over an hour. I mostly stick to restaurants that take reservations or I know will have seating available at the time I’m going to get there.

There are very few places for which I am willing to wait more than 30 minutes. There are no places for which I am willing to wait over an hour. I mostly stick to restaurants that take reservations or I know will have seating available at the time I’m going to get there.
Actually, for me there are almost no places I am willing to wait even 30 minutes to eat BBQ. The reason, (apologies) but as smug as it may sound, I rarely eat BBQ out that is better than what I make for my family and friends. The one exception is Lewis BBQ in Charleston, SC. Swig & Swine in Charleston is very good also, but not as good as Lewis.

Actually, for me there are almost no places I am willing to wait even 30 minutes to eat BBQ. The reason, (apologies) but as smug as it may sound, I rarely eat BBQ out that is better than what I make for my family and friends. The one exception is Lewis BBQ in Charleston, SC. Swig & Swine in Charleston is very good also, but not as good as Lewis.
Greg's house BBQ sounds like the place to eat 😁

Now How Can "Theirs" Be Better Than """OURS""" Are WE not all ""Masters of Smoking"" ???

Now How Can "Theirs" Be Better Than """OURS""" Are WE not all ""Masters of Smoking"" ???
I agree. There are a few good BBQ places in Georgia, but honestly not like there used to be and the chains are hit and miss. Now that I know what good is, I would rather spend the money on good meat cook it myself.
The one thing I will say is the sides are probably better than mine!

I agree. There are a few good BBQ places in Georgia, but honestly not like there used to be and the chains are hit and miss. Now that I know what good is, I would rather spend the money on good meat cook it myself.
The one thing I will say is the sides are probably better than mine!
I’m not an expert on BBQ in Georgia (or anywhere else), but I thought BJ’s in Savannah was pretty special when they were in business. The Grey (also in Savannah and not BBQ) is a James Beard award winner. If you want the BEST breakfast just about anywhere, Two Cracked Eggs in Savannah is fantastic! The Savannah food scene does not disappoint. And quite frankly, the pork belly burnt ends that we were served at recteq Academy we’re absolutely to die for!

Last edited:
Lewis BBQ is pretty good stuff for sure. Been there a few times. I believe he and Aaron Franklin have some type of history together in Texas. I’d put Franklin’s brisket above Lewis’s but like Lewis’s sausage better

It’s tough to beat Franklin BBQ. The wait is well worth it. Haven’t tried Goldie’s but went to blacks and was happy with it.
I have asked many that I have met while on a cruise that were from Texas about Franklin. The result was always the same, over rated.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back