Just another FNG

Slugger

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. RT-300
Greetings, couldn't pass up the Memorial Day savings any longer. Now begins the long wait for my 700 to show up. I picked up a well used straight leg RT-340 a couple years ago that was in poor shape. Temp gauge is way off and something popped during a cook. Auger motor broke it's main gear. I replaced the motor and picked up a 4 probe web connected device so I can watch my temps. Did my first brisket this weekend. Turned out ok but I learned that my temps from one end to the other were WAY different. At higher temps as much as 100 degrees. Decided to upgrade to a newer bigger unit. Excited to get it up and running! The old 340 may be a gift to one of my Sons.

Greetings, couldn't pass up the Memorial Day savings any longer. Now begins the long wait for my 700 to show up. I picked up a well used straight leg RT-340 a couple years ago that was in poor shape. Temp gauge is way off and something popped during a cook. Auger motor broke it's main gear. I replaced the motor and picked up a 4 probe web connected device so I can watch my temps. Did my first brisket this weekend. Turned out ok but I learned that my temps from one end to the other were WAY different. At higher temps as much as 100 degrees. Decided to upgrade to a newer bigger unit. Excited to get it up and running! The old 340 may be a gift to one of my Sons.
I thought FNG was Free New Grill.... Ooops 😁

Congrats. I hope it does everything you desire. I am hopeful you ordered it with the competition cart. When paired with the RT700 it makes the unit almost indestructible!!! I roll mine across pavers, uneven concrete, dirt and gravel, into the yard out of the yard, and it “takes a licking and keeps on ticking“. I couldn’t be happier with the combo. 3.5 of years of movement and still going strong with no rattles or broken wheels. It’s especially great to know I can have a full hopper (~40lbs) grill grates, stainless steel skillets and other accessories and it doesn’t care that it is a beast of burden.

Congrats. I hope it does everything you desire. I am hopeful you ordered it with the competition cart. When paired with the RT700 it makes the unit almost indestructible!!! I roll mine across pavers, uneven concrete, dirt and gravel, into the yard out of the yard, and it “takes a licking and keeps on ticking“. I couldn’t be happier with the combo. 3.5 of years of movement and still going strong with no rattles or broken wheels. It’s especially great to know I can have a full hopper (~40lbs) grill grates, stainless steel skillets and other accessories and it doesn’t care that it is a beast of burden.
No cart, but I was looking at it. Are the standard legs pretty wobbly? Won't be moving a lot but is on aggregate. I may ad some stiffeners.

No cart, but I was looking at it. Are the standard legs pretty wobbly? Won't be moving a lot but is on aggregate. I may ad some stiffeners.
I agree with @SmokeZilla on the competition cart. If you can swing it, you will enjoy it. If you did not see it, there is a 20% off sale on the 1250, making it about the same price as the 700.

Not so much the legs, but the wheels. Absolute crap. Ordered replacements. Crap. If you don't intend to move it, you will be fine (although over time if you don't move it at all, they flatten anyway.) I haven't sprung for the competition cart....yet!

Bummer, it sounds like those wheels are pretty soft. I will be rolling it away from the house a bit each time I use it. That cart base looks like the bomb but it's a pretty penny. Maybe down the road . . .

Bummer, it sounds like those wheels are pretty soft. I will be rolling it away from the house a bit each time I use it. That cart base looks like the bomb but it's a pretty penny. Maybe down the road . . .
Easy to add later, if you need it. Just need two sets of hands. Maybe a future sale will include the cart. It isn't cheap, but we are very happy with ours.

Looking at things again, I wish I would have gone with the 1250. I didn't realize it was the same size machine. Bummer but not too big a deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back