Just Another Brisket

tpack

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
This was my largest brisket to ever smoke. It was 21 lbs. before trimming and about 15.5 lbs. after. It was also my first ever brisket to wrap with "pink butcher paper" instead of foil. It was choice instead of prime because that`s what I had in the freezer. Seasoned with kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper, garlic and onion powder and a lil bit of chili powder. It was on the smoker for 12 hours and wrapped @ 160-165 internal temp. Four more hours and it was probe tender on the flat at 205 and 210 on the point. I let it rest wrapped in a towel in a ice chest for 6 hours before slicing. It did have a more noticeable bark and a good smoke ring but was a little dry compared to the ones I have done in the past wrapped in foil. It was very tender and tasted great by the seasoning, but just a lil dry. I used a 50/50 mix of Rec Tec competition pellets and B&B Mesquite pellets. Temperature was checked with a Thermapen® Mk4 Thermometer and the smoker was a Rec Tec-590.

My conclusion: I prefer a foil wrapped brisket over paper wrapped and prime is better than choice.

full-8162-297857-bb3.jpg

full-8162-297856-b3b.jpg

full-8162-297854-b1.jpg

That looks tasty. I’ve never done a brisket. Maybe that will be my first overnight cook when the RT 700 finally arrives.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back