RT-1250 Jumped into the Recteq family!!

Your going to like the 1250
Theres no limits with what you can cook on it
I purchased the same package as you and I have cooked all most everything you can imagine on it in the last 5-6 months
But I do still fire up the kettle occasionally
Good Luck

Purchased a 1250, grill grates, weather cover and 200 pounds of pellets to get me started.

Now the wait begins!!!!

I’m 52 but feel like 80. Bigger guy with bad arthritis. Been cooking on kettles my whole life. Bought and tried the WSM and even got a custom reverse flow Shirley Fabrication. These were all very fun but in the end too much for me. I’m tapped out at the end of the day and I needed something easier.

I can’t wait.
I always wanted a stick burner. But I like to sleep over night and the RecTeq gave me a chance to do both. Welcome to the family!

Purchased a 1250, grill grates, weather cover and 200 pounds of pellets to get me started.

Now the wait begins!!!!

I’m 52 but feel like 80. Bigger guy with bad arthritis. Been cooking on kettles my whole life. Bought and tried the WSM and even got a custom reverse flow Shirley Fabrication. These were all very fun but in the end too much for me. I’m tapped out at the end of the day and I needed something easier.

I can’t wait.
Good to meet you... Have fun.

Now the wait begins!!!!

I can’t wait.
Your first post is one I could have copied for my own. Coming from a WSM, all the hassle, albeit consistent cooks, I moved to the1250. Got rid of the gas grill, charcoal and WSM for the 1250. After the learning curve with the higher temp grilling, I’m finding it a good change, and it’s way easier to maintain and clean. Low and slow is a breeze with several consistent cooks down.

Enjoy your new grill. These forums were very helpful to me several months back when I got mine…

Attachments

• 474FF488-6EAC-46FF-A49C-B5F72F6AEEE4.jpeg
    474FF488-6EAC-46FF-A49C-B5F72F6AEEE4.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 92
The crappy part of it is the delay and you look at the shipping logistics. Goes to point A. Sits there. Shipped to point B. Sits there and then is shipped back to A and sits there. it Is now about 10 miles from your house in a warehouse. Picked up and shipped to somewhere that is 300 miles away. Shipped from there back to point B. Finally shipped to another warehouse close to your house and sits there waiting for local delivery pick up.

It finally arrives and it is damaged. You call Recteq and send them pictures. They will sent out replacement parts and hopefully you can operated the grill with the damage. All is good except you have to take apart the grill to replace the parts.

The crappy part of it is the delay and you look at the shipping logistics. Goes to point A. Sits there. Shipped to point B. Sits there and then is shipped back to A and sits there. it Is now about 10 miles from your house in a warehouse. Picked up and shipped to somewhere that is 300 miles away. Shipped from there back to point B. Finally shipped to another warehouse close to your house and sits there waiting for local delivery pick up.

It finally arrives and it is damaged. You call Recteq and send them pictures. They will sent out replacement parts and hopefully you can operated the grill with the damage. All is good except you have to take apart the grill to replace the parts.
That's the fun of it all. Like a box of chocolates.

Your first post is one I could have copied for my own. Coming from a WSM, all the hassle, albeit consistent cooks, I moved to the1250. Got rid of the gas grill, charcoal and WSM for the 1250. After the learning curve with the higher temp grilling, I’m finding it a good change, and it’s way easier to maintain and clean. Low and slow is a breeze with several consistent cooks down.

Enjoy your new grill. These forums were very helpful to me several months back when I got mine…
Not knocking your setup, just curious why you'd have 2 RT's? Understand one's a beast, and other is smaller, so guessing just weekly meals or something? Help me have an excuse to get another!

Not knocking your setup, just curious why you'd have 2 RT's? Understand one's a beast, and other is smaller, so guessing just weekly meals or something? Help me have an excuse to get another!
Two is a must, especially during mating season.

Update: it officially “arrived” at Markham2 but they backed the estimated delivery to 6/14/22 - 6/20/22. Ugh 😑
You can call them and tell them you want your shipment, that it's been sitting in the WH so many days, you want your stuff - and they will push up the delivery. There's a contact number on the tracking screen you've been staring at all this time.

You can call them and tell them you want your shipment, that it's been sitting in the WH so many days, you want your stuff - and they will push up the delivery. There's a contact number on the tracking screen you've been staring at all this time.
That’s a no-go… they have no record of it, LOL. Told me to call back on Wednesday. 😂

That’s a no-go… they have no record of it, LOL. Told me to call back on Wednesday. 😂
Okay, then plan "B" should work. Call them back, explain that you have $50 cash for the driver that delivers your grill today.

They have no record of it? You can call Recteq and tell them what Estes said. Sometimes they can speed things up by working with Estes to figure out what’s going wrong.

Got a call last night, delivered today at 12:00.
2.5 hours later I’m doing the burn in now (400 for one hour).
I couldn’t connect to the internet cause I’m blind as a bat in the sun with these phones.
I couldn’t find the instruction manual so I downloaded it from their website.
And yes, it took my fat butt 2.5 hours. Back in the day it would have been an hour.
I’m sitting inside getting cooled off, it’s 97 outside right now.
Pics to come.

I have a whole salmon filet, then a pound of bacon followed by two family packs of chicken thighs.
I know the fish isn’t what you typically season a grill with but honestly it’s what we grill more than anything so…
The bacon and chicken thighs will do the job.
Any recommendations of temps with the fish and chicken?

Last edited:
Any recommendations of temps with the fish and chicken?
I guess that depends on what you want your end product to be.

If you're just grilling with little to no smoke, go high like 375+. If you're wanting smoke, go low like 180 - 250. I keep thinking I'm going to experiment with different temps, but it seems like I'm typically at 225 or 375-400 (or both).

The 1250 has a very good temp ramp up time so it's not uncommon to start low for a bit, then dial up the temp to get into the grilling zone. I usually just leave what I'm cooking in place until I reach my new high temp. 225 - 400 takes about 4 - 8 minutes based upon outside conditions.

I often put a couple of Grillgrates on the far right side. The original "meat" I start on the left side at a lower temp to get some smoke. Then I crank up to 400 +/- and toss on the Grillgrates for reverse searing. Obviously it depends on what you're cooking and what you're after in the finished product. For whole chickens, tritip (grilled style, not brisket style, with medium rare center), I don't need Grillgrates. Just smoke for a bit and then crank up the temp. Best of both worlds all managed by your phone!

Enjoy the new tool/toy. It's been a real treat to use so far for me...after the dark Estes delivery period.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back