Bull Jerky question

thedudeabides

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Do you think it would be ok to put jerky on a mat like this to smoke?

Attachments

• 0DACB88A-03D4-4772-B9A7-C8B77DD51049.jpeg
    0DACB88A-03D4-4772-B9A7-C8B77DD51049.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 144
I have never made jerky in any fashion, so I don't really know why I am responding... (I wanted to qualify my answer) All of that being said, I would think a mesh mat would work better. I would want as much of my jerky "exposed" as possible, and with that, it looks like one side would be completely covered. Mesh mat, or bare rack would be my go-to.

I haven't made jerky for a while.
What I do know is air circulation is the key to the dehydration process. A solid mat probably wouldn't be the best thing to use.

I have never made jerky in any fashion, so I don't really know why I am responding... (I wanted to qualify my answer) All of that being said, I would think a mesh mat would work better. I would want as much of my jerky "exposed" as possible, and with that, it looks like one side would be completely covered. Mesh mat, or bare rack would be my go-to.
That is what I was thinking. I don’t have any wire racks currently, and don’t have the time to properly clean the grates where there would not be residual. Since it’s only 3 lbs, I am going to see what happens on this mat (it’s surprisingly thin), and report back.

I'm sure it would work if you turn it occasionally but as others say a mesh would be best. I make jerky weekly but use a food dehydrator with a mesh mat on grates. Have not used the RecTeq method yet.

I just took it off the mat after 1 hr. Didn’t like the way it was going. Hopefully it can be salvageable.

I would like a full report on how it went on the jerky if you can? I would like to give it a try sometime.

Do you think it would be ok to put jerky on a mat like this to smoke?
I make jerky all the time on the mesh liner they make, and it turns out great. Not sure if you'd get the same smoky flavor without the mesh but give it a shot, let us know how it goes

I use these from Amazon Link to make jerky on my 590. They are cheap, good quality, FDA approved, and clean up easy in the dishwasher.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back