It's cold outside so I decided to bundle up

Mike

Kind of good admin
Community Leader
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull

It's about about 30 degrees outside and I'm wanting to reverse sear a couple sirloins so thought it might be a good idea to bundle up.

I have to say the grill did get to temp (225) much quicker than I expected. The blanket is a welders blanket.

Word of warning, don't cover the horns or you'll get burned.

No really, the horns get dang hot if left covered. This blanket isn't thick and it was pretty cold out, I really didn't think it would get that warm but they do.

I'll have to make a cut out for them next time.

I bought the exact same welding blankets for son in law and myself this Christmas, I do go one step further in the cold and put a cheap moving pad over the welding blanket.

I bought the exact same welding blankets for son in law and myself this Christmas, I do go one step further in the cold and put a cheap moving pad over the welding blanket.
@NLCJRTN have you made cutouts for your horns?

I couldn't imagine adding another blanket or pad to the top of this welding blanket. It almost seems thin to me and was really skeptical if it would even work. Man does it work!

Works great, it just adds a bit of insulation, the welding blanket keeps the moving pad from getting damaged (melted or burned). I only employ the moving pad when conditions are cold and windy.

Good idea. I was going to look at purchasing the insulation kit next fall, but if this works well then maybe I'll skip that route and just do it this way in the future.

I had to trim mine for the horns and the smoke vents on the RT590.

IMG_8160.jpeg
IMG_8161.jpeg

Thanks for posting these pictures. I'm about to buy one of these and wanted to check recommended size. I have the RT-680. Should I get the 4'x6' or 6'x8'?

Thanks.

Have not used the blanket here in the PNW but a tip I used for my Traegar of 17 years was
to set about 6-7 fire brick in the bottom of the barrel around the auger and fire pot. Works
like a heat sink for those long smokes.

@Troutrad:
LOL I have no idea what a neodymium magnet is. I bought them at Harbor Freight though.

Those would the all-weather vents covers. The updated 590 now has louvered vents to prevent rain from coming in.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back