Issues connecting to WiFi

@Tgrimm001 have you checked all of the wiring connections? That seems to be a quality control shortfall on these grills. Especially the probes but I think that was my problem with dropped WiFi was just not a good connection on the antenna. I’d check where it plugs into the motherboard as well. If that doesn’t help call customer service.
Yea I have. But now that you say that the 2 female ends that you connect to the controller I looked and didn't see where it mattered which one went where? I wonder if I switched those if it would matter?

My fairly current Orbi mesh router cannot set up separate networks. However, recently I learned how to turn off 5G so only the 2.4 works.
I have Orbi Mesh also. What I did was turned the SSID broadcast for 5g off so only 2.4 was broadcasting. It didn't seem to matter with my iPhone as I think it kept auto switching back to 5g. I finally got my old Nexus 4 android phone out, put a small charge on it and THEN connected to the 2.4 band. Android actually tells you which band you on as apposed to iPhone which makes you guess. As soon as I verified the connection band my Bull connected right up. It did drop once but after receiving advice from customer service, I purchased the recommended Wi-Fi extender (2.4ghz only) and haven't had a connection issue since.

This is the extender they recommend:
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender-EX2700/dp/B00L0YLRUW/ref=asc_df_[…]vdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011164&hvtargid=pla-352077298319

Last edited:
Price is right!

My signal kept dropping when I first got the grill. I use my grill in the driveway just outside my garage. If I wheeled the grill up next to the door into the mudroom/house I could stay connected (but obviously this was no good for cooking). When I moved the grill out to the driveway, the signal would drop. I added the Netgear wi-fi extender in the mudroom and haven't had an issue since.

I have a Comcast Gateway and needed to split my signals but that doesn't appear to be the issue here.

The only way I could get mine to connect was to find the "sweet spot" (read distance from the router) where the 5Ghz dropped out but the 2.4Ghz signal was still received. The process worked but was almost laughable.

Fix for Recteq RT-700 Bull Connecting to Netgear Orbi RBR50

Known issue: RT-700 setup has conflict issues connecting to Wifi networks that provided both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks under the same SSID (Wireless name you see when you go to connect a device) Seems mainly if the device you are using is already connected to a 5Ghz Wifi network.

The easiest solution is to temporarily reconfigure your wireless network and turn off all 5Ghz while you are connecting the device. Once the configuration of your RT-700 has been completed you can turn this back on and not have it negatively affect anything moving forward. Make sure to "forget" and reconnect to your new 2.4Ghz network on your device to ensure its providing 2.4Ghz only. I have seen some situations where this lead to an issue. (And make sure to have your Wifi password handy before you begin)

Original credit to the person that helped me to the answer for the issue – User “guzzijason”

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/HOW-TO-DISABLE-5G-TEMPORARILY-ON-ORBI-ROUTER/td-p/1469365

Original Post:

There seem to be a number of people having the same sort of issue lately. I believe the older firmware let you power off the radios, but the recent firmware does not. You can manually disable a specific interface on the command line, but there is an automated watchdog process that will bring it back up again, usually within seconds.

I did work out a hacky way of temporarily downing the 5 GHz interface that might work for you:

1. Shut off your satellites (otherwise, you need to repeat the following steps on all of them, in addition to router)

2. Enable telnet on the router (from the /debug.htm page of the web interface)

3. telnet to router

4. After logging in, run the following command script on the command line (yes, 1 big line):

Code:
seconds=60; x=0; while [ $x -lt $seconds ]; do ip link set down dev $(config get wl5g_NORMAL_AP); x=$(( x + 1 )); echo "down $x"; sleep 1; done

This command will determine the interface for the primary 5 GHz, and shut it down for 60 seconds. If you want to change the amount of time that the interface stays down, simply change the "seconds=60" part of the script to whatever you want.

This doesn't make any permanent config changes, so if worse comes to worse, simply reboot the router and you should be right back to where you were.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Here is the procedure I used to turn off 5G in my Orbi Mesh AC3000 Tri-Band system.

Attachments

• Steps to turnoff 5G Orbi Router.docx
    12 KB · Views: 98
  • Orbi 5G Setting.jpg
    Orbi 5G Setting.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 67
Administrator Mike's HiFine antenna mod works great for me at 2.4 GHz. GLF35 has it right, but I'm biased as I have family that works for Gulfstream.

I assume you can have a password on the guest network, correct?

I haven't received my grill yet, but I can create either a 2.4 or 5ghz guest network (or multiple of each). I can also disable access to my local intranet, but I'd rather have it password protected instead of open.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back