Is this the heat deflector?

I just picked up a 590 at RT on Monday, Nov 8 and it has a stainless deflector. Are people out there having to replace their deflectors due to warping?

I just picked up a 590 at RT on Monday, Nov 8 and it has a stainless deflector. Are people out there having to replace their deflectors due to warping?

On my 700 it is slight.. doesn’t bother me or seem to have any impact. Have heard others had warping enough to touch the pan so that might be an issue then.

the 1250 comes with the cast deflector , when u decide to upgrade ( hopefully very very soon , and live very near me ) i,ll buy that possibly faulty 590... ( yea , i been lookin for a hand me down too long an i,m gettin a little desperate , sorry !!! )

Last edited:
Just received my 590 - is this the heat deflector? Doesn't resemble the one in the online manual....View attachment 13528
Does your cast iron deflector for the 590 sit down in the notches properly? If I seat it in the notches on one side, it’s about 2 inches too high on the other.

Attachments

• 1E509C35-560F-47E4-93DB-301E369E3667.jpeg
    1E509C35-560F-47E4-93DB-301E369E3667.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 164
  • A2CE2C03-111E-462B-A211-5FC11E40B43E.jpeg
    A2CE2C03-111E-462B-A211-5FC11E40B43E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 151
Looks like cast iron to me as well. If it's thick and heavy , smile ans enjoy!

hello, everyone I had the same question and rec teq informed me that they are moving away from the stainless due to warping. so now we may have to worry about how long before they rust out. They should have gone to a heavier gauge stainless and not have to worry about anything. Either way that's what i'm going to do.

Definitely looks like the cast iron deflector I have in my 1250.
If it's not too much trouble can you tell me the width left to right when installed of the cast iron deflector for your 1250? I'm curious to know if it's the same width as the stainless one in the RT-700.

Thank you.

One great thing about the cast iron is that you can throw a big handful of pellets on top and they will smoke perfectly. I do that on my 1250 all the time. I would say that’s the same heat deflector on the latest version of the 1250. Ether they gave you the wrong one or they have updated the 590.

I'm curious if going to cast iron for the deflector was done as a cost cutting measure or to make the grill function better? Cast iron is the cheapest raw material while T304 stainless contains high grade metals, one being nickle, which is costly. Labor costs are higher to manufacture cast iron parts but since they're made in China, labor costs may be negligible. The thicker cast iron retains heat better than stainless steel sheet metal, but since it's a heat "deflector" I'm not sure if the cast iron will absorb a lot of the heat instead of "defecting" it to the cookbox where the food is and if that's good or bad for this application? Of course I don't know what I'm talking about, but my mind was churning thinking about the change...:unsure:
This also may be a move to smooth out the temp variations at the cooking grate. Once the cast iron heats up it should be a great heat sink to stabilize the temperatures. With all the grease in the cooks it should "season" nicely.

This sort of goes back to the thread where someone reported using firebricks to even out the temperatures in the 590.

If RT has gone with cast iron deflectors, t
Did the make them so they can be retrofitted to earlier RT-590’s ?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back