Is this the heat deflector?

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Just received my 590 - is this the heat deflector? Doesn't resemble the one in the online manual....
tempImagepwbxel.jpg

I'm not sure what that thing is. The deflector wouldnt be powder coated. My 590 is about 3 years old so its the older style. Is there a heat deflector in the box? You can always go online to see what its supposed to look like. You may need to call RT. Sorry, your having issues. I've really enjoyed my 590 with no issues other than a torn bag of pellets during shipping that RT replaced.

I'm going to have to go with call RT. That doesn't look like anything that came with my 590.

It kind of looks like cast iron. There is certainly no reason to paint that part as it will just burn off.

Can you take a picture of it with the legs up and no packaging around it?

They upgraded the 1250 to a cast iron heat deflector.....I have to wonder if they did the same for the 590.

It kind of looks like cast iron. There is certainly no reason to paint that part as it will just burn off.

Can you take a picture of it with the legs up and no packaging around it?

They upgraded the 1250 to a cast iron heat deflector.....I have to wonder if they did the same for the 590.
Thoughts??

Attachments

• tempImage6BYUo7.png
    tempImage6BYUo7.png
    15 MB · Views: 192
Yeah, definitely cast iron.

I have the steel deflector in my Bull, but I bolted on a 1/4" steel plate to it to prevent it from warping.

Definitely looks like the cast iron deflector I have in my 1250.

I'm curious if going to cast iron for the deflector was done as a cost cutting measure or to make the grill function better? Cast iron is the cheapest raw material while T304 stainless contains high grade metals, one being nickle, which is costly. Labor costs are higher to manufacture cast iron parts but since they're made in China, labor costs may be negligible. The thicker cast iron retains heat better than stainless steel sheet metal, but since it's a heat "deflector" I'm not sure if the cast iron will absorb a lot of the heat instead of "defecting" it to the cookbox where the food is and if that's good or bad for this application? Of course I don't know what I'm talking about, but my mind was churning thinking about the change...:unsure:

I'm curious if going to cast iron for the deflector was done as a cost cutting measure or to make the grill function better? Cast iron is the cheapest raw material while T304 stainless contains high grade metals, one being nickle, which is costly. Labor costs are higher to manufacture cast iron parts but since they're made in China, labor costs may be negligible. The thicker cast iron retains heat better than stainless steel sheet metal, but since it's a heat "deflector" I'm not sure if the cast iron will absorb a lot of the heat instead of "defecting" it to the cookbox where the food is and if that's good or bad for this application? Of course I don't know what I'm talking about, but my mind was churning thinking about the change...:unsure:
I believe the stainless deflectors were warping.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back