Foodkid

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
So is this rust on my 590 stainless steel Rec-Teq. see attachment

Attachments

• 20210402_181611 (1).jpg
    20210402_181611 (1).jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 394
I'm no expert but sure looks like rust. But why?

It appears so. Not all stainless steel is created equally. The entire outside of the grill is looking very weathered. How many seasons has this grill sat outside? What part of the country are you in?

Last edited:
Thank you for all the replies. The grill is less than a year old. I keep it covered and under a roof. I am kind of disappointed that it is rusting already. I will contact support

Thank you for all the replies. The grill is less than a year old. I keep it covered and under a roof. I am kind of disappointed that it is rusting already. I will contact support
Keep us posted on what RT says. I'm sure they will take care of the issue.

I contacted Rec-Teq support (via email) and they got back to me very quickly. Support informed me that the discoloration was the result of the heat and it is normal and going to happen. I will go with that because other than the discoloration the grill has been faultless.

I contacted Rec-Teq support (via email) and they got back to me very quickly. Support informed me that the discoloration was the result of the heat and it is normal and going to happen. I will go with that because other than the discoloration the grill has been faultless.
Thanks for letting us know.

Wow!! If mine starts to go that way it will get cleaned up the painted with some hi-temp. paint, I would hate my grill looking like that. My 7 year old Camp Chef which is going to my neighbor looks almost new, and believe me, I have a lot of cooks on it.

Wow!! If mine starts to go that way it will get cleaned up the painted with some hi-temp. paint, I would hate my grill looking like that. My 7 year old Camp Chef which is going to my neighbor looks almost new, and believe me, I have a lot of cooks on it.
Actually the sand and paint sounds like a good thought.

Do you live near the ocean where salt air can get to your grill?
Do you use commercial rubs which are loaded with salt and may be getting splattered on the lid and running down onto the front of the cookbox?
Have you ever cleaned the stainless with something like Bar Keeper Friend?
Do you use it at max temp a lot?
Mine is 6 month old and doesn't show any rust.

Wow, mine's been outside covered in the winter, but mostly uncovered, and it still looks brand new when clean. That's wild. I guess as long as it cooks good and doesn't start eating through the metal, then you're good, but that seems pretty extreme.

From all the reply's it sounds like I am the only one with that discoloration on my grill? Does anyone else have it?

Attachments

• 20210402_181611 (1).jpg
    20210402_181611 (1).jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 88
From all the reply's it sounds like I am the only one with that discoloration on my grill? Does anyone else have it?
I see a can of spray paint in your future.

Looks like rust to me. I note you have some on the lid as well at the bottom of it. I think the body of the grill is of 430 Stainless. If so, it has some ferrous content and can rust. More likely in salt/air areas near the ocean. However, it does not usually scale and peal and so can last long term. Should be able to clean it off with a good SS cleaner or Barkeepers Friend. If you live near the ocean, I don't think you will stop the process. Sanding and painting with high heat spray paint sounds like a good remedy. On the other hand, doing nothing, I think the 590 will outlast you. To some of us being able to make great Q from a very seasoned looking pit is like a merit badge! One other remote possibility--RT may have gotten a batch of pits with lesser quality metal from their Chinese manufacturer.???? It happens.

Looks like rust to me. I note you have some on the lid as well at the bottom of it. I think the body of the grill is of 430 Stainless. If so, it has some ferrous content and can rust. More likely in salt/air areas near the ocean. However, it does not usually scale and peal and so can last long term. Should be able to clean it off with a good SS cleaner or Barkeepers Friend. If you live near the ocean, I don't think you will stop the process. Sanding and painting with high heat spray paint sounds like a good remedy. On the other hand, doing nothing, I think the 590 will outlast you. To some of us being able to make great Q from a very seasoned looking pit is like a merit badge! One other remote possibility--RT may have gotten a batch of pits with lesser quality metal from their Chinese manufacturer.???? It happens.
Okie thanks for the reply. Yes, I live only 15 minutes from the bay/ocean so I guess that could be it. I cleaned the lid and it looks new again. I used barkeep on the bottom but it only helped a little some pits and discoloration remain. I agree the 590 will probably outlast me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back