Is there anywhere on req rec site to post reviews?

Congrats on your 2nd place finish! Any particular association that you compete in? My wife and I are SCA judges but I’ve yet to compete in an event. I keep telling myself that I’m going to rent a generator and compete with my Bullseye, but that hasn’t happened yet!

Thanks! ICBA and Lonestar mostly, along with some other non sanctioned cookoffs. It's a lot of fun, the wife and I really enjoy it.

I have a bluetti ac50s that powers my recteq when I'm without power, it works great and silent unlike my 3000watt inverter generator. Would highly recommend getting one if the price isn't an issue.

Thanks! ICBA and Lonestar mostly, along with some other non sanctioned cookoffs. It's a lot of fun, the wife and I really enjoy it.

I have a bluetti ac50s that powers my recteq when I'm without power, it works great and silent unlike my 3000watt inverter generator. Would highly recommend getting one if the price isn't an issue.
You are the second person to recommend a power station instead of a generator. When we went to recteq Academy one of the presenters was Chef Lynnae and she competes in SCA with a Bullseye powered by a Lion Energy unit.

I cook competition and came from a stick burner to recteq. I'm not supplementing with any additional smoke, just the recteq and recteq pellets and last weekend I got 2nd place brisket competing against 140 teams.

I can't tell you how many times I heard people say oh you can't get good smoke from pellet, oh have fun with your oven, you'll never have the smoke flavor you get with "real wood". I constantly hear this mentioned on forums as well.

The judges at competitions seem to disagree and the competition world is seeing a lot of stick burners switching to pellet smokers. Consistency is better and the smoke is perfect.
Thank you (y)

I suppose the question I would ask is what is the point of your review? If you just want to trash recteq, leave less than a 4-star review on the recteq site and the review will likely not be posted. Leave less than a 4-star review on this site just to trash recteq and that just reflects badly on this site, which is in no way affiliated with recteq. Why not just post your experience here and see what others have to say, good or bad? This is a user-experience site with the intent to share and help others, not an influencer platform to promote or degrade anyone.
His point is he wants to post an honest review, most companies want an honest review especially if there are problems so that they can address them. I have noticed when it comes to Rec Tec that there are owners of this brand that if anyone has something bad to say about them that they get very upset my question is why would they get upset with someone being honest about a product. I own a Bullseye and there is a very bad problem with maintaining the temperature set and that is a fact that someone who is thinking about purchasing one should know.

I don't tend to agree that most companies want an honest review, in particular when they likely have little control over the "quality control", since few things are made these days in their country of origin. We also see and bear witness that most anything can be spun in whatever direction or narrative that's needed, hence why I believe forums like this are typically the best source for reviews over a biased OEM.

His point is he wants to post an honest review, most companies want an honest review especially if there are problems so that they can address them. I have noticed when it comes to Rec Tec that there are owners of this brand that if anyone has something bad to say about them that they get very upset my question is why would they get upset with someone being honest about a product. I own a Bullseye and there is a very bad problem with maintaining the temperature set and that is a fact that someone who is thinking about purchasing one should know.
The recent app update fixed some problems but the app is terrible compared to the rest of the grill imo. I love my recteq but I agree with you, people have a cult following where they will defend it's problems.

I must admit that I give minimal credence to any online review. My favorite was reading some reviews of a toaster oven that I ended up buying. Half the people with one star reviews were "outraged" that the internal light wouldn't stay on while cooking. If they had bothered to glance at the manual or even stared at the front of their toaster oven, they would've discovered a small round button with an icon of a light bulb on it. When you press the button, the oven light miraculously turns on!

I must admit that I give minimal credence to any online review. My favorite was reading some reviews of a toaster oven that I ended up buying. Half the people with one star reviews were "outraged" that the internal light wouldn't stay on while cooking. If they had bothered to glance at the manual or even stared at the front of their toaster oven, they would've discovered a small round button with an icon of a light bulb on it. When you press the button, the oven light miraculously turns on!
But some helpful reviews will be immortalized in history 🤣.

Purchased my RecTeq Bullseye 380 about a month ago and I have cooked on it almost every day! Bottom line... I love it and cannot imagine anything easier. I did mess up a chuck roast (pulled it too soon) but that was a rookie mistake.

@oldschool 2 out of 140 is impressive! Congrats! What RT do you compete with?
Thank you!

I have the recteq 1250 for brisket and ribs and a Oklahoma Joe bronco drum smoker I use for chicken as I need a higher temp of course.

I used to use a 250 gallon propane tank converted to offset that was on a boat trailer, right next to the firebox I got my ~275-300 for chicken and the rest of the pit was solid at 225. Was nice as I could cook a TON on it but I like the consistency of the recteq and sleep I get now. And honestly, the smoke flavor and smoke ring on the recteq are just as good and absolutely consistent, the offset would generate different smoke profiles depending on the weather, like if it got super cold or rainy while at competition the smoke wasn't as good or unpredictable.

Might get a 340 down the road for chicken at comps, going to get a bullseye soon and I'll see if that is as consistent at lower temps or not.

@oldschool I like the oklahoma joe. I'm used to drum smokers myself. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the time/temp of pellet grills. Just curious, what temp do you set your 1250?

@oldschool I like the oklahoma joe. I'm used to drum smokers myself. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the time/temp of pellet grills. Just curious, what temp do you set your 1250?
For cooking brisket I start at low for a an hour with the brisket cold to absorb the most smoke, then I turn it up to 225 until I wrap and then after wrapping I usually will do about 235-245 depending on my timing I'm shooting for.

Most of my cooks on the 1250 have been between low at 180ish to 375. It really raises the temp quick with the bigger auger.

I've had the 1250 up to 750-800 before when doing steak to sear but I wasn't really happy with it, getting a bullseye with grill grates instead of just the grill grates for the 1250.

@oldschool I agree about the high heat. The 1250 gets there fast, but the results on searing are just ok. I'll give the low temp for an hour or two a try tomorrow. I'm smoking 3 butts.

Please post about any comps your in. I would love to hear about your results, and I'm sure many others here would too.

I have a ceramic electric burner unit I keep on top of my pellet hopper, I put on my 12 inch cast iron skillet for a real quick and proper yummy sear for steaks or chops, over cranking the temp up on my 590.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back