RT-1070 Is the 1070 rainproof?

darkmeat

Do any of you have your 1070 out in the open, not under a roof or a cover? I am a new owner and have cooked some wonderful meats on the 1070 but last weekend it rained and my 1070 got rain in the barrel and then short circuited at the blower motor and the ignitor. Recteq is sending new parts but its going to rain again someday... I ordered a cover and will use it but i was led to believe that the grill was rainproof. If it is not, then Recteq should be upfront about it. Any thoughts? Is your 1070 rain proof? Do you get water in the barrel when it rains? Is there a way to prevent water from getting in the barrel aside from a cover or roof?

If and when I have to replace my current 1070, I am going to have all the seams tig'd. If you stick your head in it you can see plenty of daylight coming in because the seams are just tack welded. Maybe even close the vents in back and attach a stack. Sounds silly maybe, but I know a guy and it will be cheaper than stepping up to the next all stainless grill at over twice the cost.

Anyway - yes, you have to constantly check the weather to know if you need to cover your grill overnight.
Water gets into the cook chamber and also the cabinet below, so use a Rubbermaid tote or something equally waterproof for anything you're storing in there.

I've also replaced the ignitor already. I've got plenty of complaints about the 1070, still my favorite grill.

I don't think it was intended to be water proof. The lid, even if tight will let water in at the top. If outside, you should have a water tight cover. The RT cover that I have seems to be well made and of good material, but I have not tested for water leakage. Lucky me, as I have a nice covered porch, but I still use the cover as well. My advice: get a good waterproof cover, and with covered breather vents that will allow moisture to evaporate from inside. The RT cover looks that good, but I am not convinced. I have a high ceiling porch, so I do overnight cooks under the roof. Unlike SmokeOCD, I have had no major problems and like him the 1070 is my favorite smoker. (I have owned Traeger, Blaz'n, RT 590 and RT380, Memphis Beale Street).
P.S.: If you expect rain or snow, and have no porch to work under, I would advise not to cook out! Both from fear of leaks and electrical shock. If you try to waterproof your pit, you may alter its function and still run the risk of electrical accident. All above IMHO!

Last edited:
A regular gas grill isn't water proof either, and of course they don't have electronics/motors and wood pellets that will get water logged or moisture infused........cover your Rectec or keep in garage or shed.

This goes for all RecTeq grills. They "say" the are weatherproof and then add the caveat "we suggest you keep them covered or under cover when not in use. Leaving any grill outdoors, uncovered, in the elements will no doubt result in issues over time.

304 stainless is quality but not all 304 is created equal and contrary to what people might think, 304 will have issues if exposed to the elements. I keep my grills under some sort of patio cover at all times.

In the manuals "If left in an exposed area, keep your grill covered and unplugged when not in use." Also, rust and oxidation is not included in the warranty. Basically, keep it covered.

Last edited:
Water will get inside, under especially in the storage cart area. I found water in the drawer where the drip pan goes too when I forgot to put my cover back on. You will have to season the cover as well. Recommend tent sealant.

Thanks ya'll. This is helpful. I will use the cover and see how it goes. I don't have a space to keep it under a roof, so I am hoping that with the cover I will be ok. Also going to take ya'lls advice and use tent sealant or waterproofing for the cover.

Follow up to a thread from long ago. I have used the 1070 successfully and love it. Cover, with waterproofing, keeps the rain out when not grilling. If it is raining and I want to grill, I have had some success with Al foil loosely covering the lid and vents. I attached the Al foil with high temp magnets. It has not affected the grill temperature or release of smoke.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back