Is it lousy to get my dad a smaller sized smoker than the 700, since thats the one I have(old style 700)?

JohnDS

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
This would be a birthday gift. Idk. I'm not trying to be cheap, just wondering if it's necessary since he has a happy life with no wife and us kids are not living there anymore. Mine is the old style RT700. I know nothing about the other models. Maybe you guys can chime in.

Is your dad someone that would fill a grill, vacuum seal and freeze stuff for quick meals later? If so, I would maybe, MAYBE, consider getting a 700. Even if he does this, I'm sure a 540 would still fit plenty of food for him to have plenty of leftovers. If not, I would suggest getting something smaller to fit his needs. Otherwise he will be using more pellets for zero gain. That's my opinion.

i agree with above. unless he is a big time meal prepper i would say the 590 has the advantage of taking up less space on his deck. the grates are also a bit smaller and lighter weight so they will be easier to handle.

The RT-340 is a very capable, compact grill. We love ours and it easily prepares enough food for the two of us…with plenty of leftovers.

I have the 590 and love the amount of space. Not to big and not to small. It really came down to what size I needed for my family. This smoker is big enough to do lots of food. Good luck.

@JohnDS unless dad is planning on doing a lot of entertaining then I would say the RT-340 or if you wanted to get crazy the RT-580 would be more than enough for a single guy cooking for himself.

Does he like to grill? What other grills does he have. I have the Bull, a Green Egg, gas grill, etc but not all at the same place. I’ve been looking at the Bullseye as a multi purpose grill so I can smoke and sear at high heat.. over 700 degrees. That’s impressive. Plus it’s $500!

the 590 is a nice cooker. in my opinion its the best looking. i love that barrel shape. if you wanted to spend the extra money go deluxe and get the shelf and maybe comp cart. they look incredible fully loaded!
The look, size & the rain vents is why I purchased the 590. Has a futureistic appearance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back