iOS WiFi App and VoiceOver?

Kayaker

Greetings. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the 590 or 700, but one piece of info is missing that I need your help to confirm. Long story short, I'm blind and need to use the iOS app to control my grill. From what I can tell, the iPhone app works with Apples accessibility software Voiceover. However, I cannot confirm the grill controls since I don't have a grill yet. I was hoping someone could perform a quick test for me. If you are willing to help, read on.

First, you can turn on voiceover by asking Siri to "Turn on Voice Over" She should reply, "ok I turned on Voice Over." Now, all gestures that you are used to are different. Here's the quick rundown.
A single tap will speak the item.
A double tap will activate an item like a normal single tap.
A single finger flip left or right will navigate between items.
A single finger flip up or down has contextual actions, but it will change values in a picker item.
And finally, asking Siri to "Turn off voice over" will get your phone back to normal.
That all said, here's what I need to know and how to try it.
1. Confirm you have the latest RecTec app from the App Store 1.6.2.
2. Launch the app and get to the grill controls and then turn on voiceover
3. Try to set the grill temp of the grill by what ever means it offers it. Usually this might mean double tapping on the set temp button and either entering a number or flicking up and down to pick from predetermined values.
Also, you will need to confirm that voiceover will speak item labels and temps properly. This can be done by just tapping the item you want to hear speak or using the single finger flick left or right to navigate the screen.
4. Confirm the same with probe temps for current and target.
5. Confirm the start grill button works.
That's it. I know the graph of temp over time won't work, but that's just fine.

Every other grill maker I tried so far has failed to write their app properly and so voiceover won't work. It's frustrating since you have to be a totally in competent developer to break it. From what I can currently use of the app, RecTec has done everything properly.

If you've read this far, thanks. I currently use old fashioned charcoal and smoke wood for my smoker, but want to make life easier for me so this will be my first pellet grill.

One last question RecTec claims to have some shut down process that minimizes clean up. However, there's no details on this. What's the deal or is that just wishful marketing from them? Before I researched the app issue, I had thought the CampChef Windwood might have been my grill for its easy ash removal. Wonder how RecTec does on this front. Thoughts?

Thank you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back