Stampede Insulated blanket for RT-590

I took the easy way out and bought a pre-made blanket. It has built in straps and magnets to secure it. Only takes a minute to put on or take off. I only use it for low and slow cooks.
IMG_3400.JPG
IMG_3402.JPG

I am just glad I don't have to worry about this too much. It is cold and windy in the ATL today. Mid 30's and windy. We did have snow yesterday! Things were starting to shut down Friday and the grocery stores are bare! :ROFLMAO:

I did cook a pork shoulder today aka Butt and I was concerned about the cold weather. It all went well, cooked low and slow at 225, it stalled at 153 so wrapped and cranked up to 250. Just pulled it off to rest for an hour or two.

Man, I have to say I love my RT 590, the temp held within 1 or 2 degrees even with the wind all day long.

I smoked Salmon (on extreme smoke) yesterday while it was snowing here in North Georgia and it turned out amazing. I do agree the RT 590 does a great job.

Without a blanket I've had no problems doing low and slow running my grill down into the teens. I also did a pizza @ 500 the other day when it was a breezy 20, it had a hard time getting up over 470 but did did eventually get there. As far as I can tell a blanket, which I have, saves pellets and makes it easier to maintain temp when it's real cold, but within reason it is not a necessity.

FWIW, using the blanket for 500 degree cooks burned off the paint on the lid of my 340, twice.

Some people are slow learners.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back