Stampede Insulated blanket for RT-590

They do sell a blanket for the 700, but I have not seen one for the 590. The vents on the 590 may make it a little more difficult to do. Many have used welding blankets, which are a lot less expensive with good results.

I've never been on a forum before so this is new experience for me. Thanks one and all for answering my questions. I am in western Canada and Recteqs are rare here, but I should become a sales rep, as a number of my friends are looking seriously at getting one. My experience has been very good. Just need solutions for the cold weather.

I live in the NE of the US, and we do get pretty cold temps in the winter. That said, for work Canada has been my region for the better part of 20 years. In going up to stations I need to support, I know just how cold most of Canada can be during the winter. Although I have never had the need for a insulated cover for my RT, I do know the need is there for the much colder locations. For what I have experienced, between extreme cold, extreme heat and wind, wind has been by far the toughest foe to beat when cooking on the RT.

I bought same blanket as padlin. I have not got around to cutting it to fit the grill or bought magnets yet.

Padlin if you have any pictures u would love to see them.

Hey guys, I thought I would post up a pic of my winter cover. Not quite completed yet

Attachments

• 2B00550E-E325-4945-B68A-334233E5CD2C.jpeg
    2B00550E-E325-4945-B68A-334233E5CD2C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 290
  • 5E787C70-8962-47A0-9CC5-9AD23E69CA3C.jpeg
    5E787C70-8962-47A0-9CC5-9AD23E69CA3C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 296
Wondering what size welders blanket is best? Also, is there a type that is more easily cut (for the horns and rear vents - RT-590) and won’t fray as much? Very Impressed with Cory’s set-up above but I don’t have that skill set!!

This last week the weather was running right around freezing with just a slight wind. I was hoping to get the RT-590 to 425 degrees, but it was struggling at 380. Highest I got was 386 with it dropping as low as 360, all the time on full blast. It seems the wind affects it the most. I hope the welders blanket will be the solution. Yet to pick one up. Cory's setup is impressive. We need Recteq to take us northern folk into the picture to help us extend our season.

This last week the weather was running right around freezing with just a slight wind. I was hoping to get the RT-590 to 425 degrees, but it was struggling at 380. Highest I got was 386 with it dropping as low as 360, all the time on full blast. It seems the wind affects it the most. I hope the welders blanket will be the solution. Yet to pick one up. Cory's setup is impressive. We need Recteq to take us northern folk into the picture to help us extend our season.
Did you see my post for the Stampede grill blanket? If you didn’t here are the pics for the blanket I had made. Keeps the heat in very well. I do agree the wind seems to affect it the most.

Attachments

• 0E1547EA-4336-470A-9BE1-53EEA9942E2A.jpeg
    0E1547EA-4336-470A-9BE1-53EEA9942E2A.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 634
  • B5137CF9-8D3D-4A0D-950C-27FB3BC84E69.jpeg
    B5137CF9-8D3D-4A0D-950C-27FB3BC84E69.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 331
Hey guys, I thought I would post up a pic of my winter cover. Not quite completed yet
Cory, We just got our RT 590 and were thinking about a blanket/heat shield. Yours looks great. I'd be interested in seeing the final outcome.

Cory, We just got our RT 590 and were thinking about a blanket/heat shield. Yours looks great. I'd be interested in seeing the final outcome.
Sorry just seen your reply. Basically using a felt welding blanket and fabbed these stainless covers to hold the blanket on. Making it double wall with the felt blanket in between. I used a welding blanket by itself and was kind of a pain to deal with.

Sorry just seen your reply. Basically using a felt welding blanket and fabbed these stainless covers to hold the blanket on. Making it double wall with the felt blanket in between. I used a welding blanket by itself and was kind of a pain to deal with.
The original pics I tried using gasket material and didn’t take the heat very well lower down

FWIW... I use a heavy felt welding blanket. Fired up the mower today and it puffed out a load of black lint. Thinking it might be a belt shredding I pulled the cowling and found a mouse nest made of my smoker winter blanket. Opened the blanket that was sitting on a shelf in the next room, it now has new vent and horn holes all over it. Little buggers pretty much totaled it. Tis the season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back