Installed Power Cord - Come on, really!!

Come on Recteq! The power cable supplied with this unit is low quality Chinese made junk. How about introducing a non pvc cord that we can use in cold climates!!!!

all about making a extra buck? Ridiculous.

Honestly, trying to be serious and respond to your concern, what kinds of problems are you experiencing with the power cord, especially those that show up in cold weather?

It might be possible RT has recently changed the type of power cord they use, so your experience may be different than what others have seen so far.

While I've used my RT-590 in 15-20 degree weather and had no problems, and some others seem to have similar experiences, doesn't mean your concerns aren't legit. We just didn't have any specific info to understand what issues you experienced and perhaps offer some helpful suggestions.

Also, welcome to the Forum! Hope you stick with it, and I really think you'll come to enjoy your RT-590.

I saw somewhere on the rectec fb page a person bought an rv receptacle plug off amazon drilled a hole in the back panel of the controller and cut the cord to fit and wires in and just uses an extension cord which plugs in the rxv

Attachments

• 678D1129-468F-474C-B4CC-4FB9FDC588F2.jpeg
    678D1129-468F-474C-B4CC-4FB9FDC588F2.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 36D21440-505A-4EBC-995C-14864AD08F4A.jpeg
    36D21440-505A-4EBC-995C-14864AD08F4A.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 59FE4A62-CF8E-424E-9246-BA8E024B7688.jpeg
    59FE4A62-CF8E-424E-9246-BA8E024B7688.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 133
Honestly, trying to be serious and respond to your concern, what kinds of problems are you experiencing with the power cord, especially those that show up in cold weather?

It might be possible RT has recently changed the type of power cord they use, so your experience may be different than what others have seen so far.

While I've used my RT-590 in 15-20 degree weather and had no problems, and some others seem to have similar experiences, doesn't mean your concerns aren't legit. We just didn't have any specific info to understand what issues you experienced and perhaps offer some helpful suggestions.

Also, welcome to the Forum! Hope you stick with it, and I really think you'll come to enjoy your RT-590.
You are right, Thanks Mannydog. The food that comes off that 590 is delicious! I just point out that a quality cord would make the unit better and these “Premium members“ get all bent out of shape.

A possible solution is something I am considering doing; install a weatherproof outdoor electrical outlet box on my grill so that I could conveniently plug in accessories (think charger for ThermoWorks Signals unit). That would involve cutting the existing cord and routing the short stub into one side of the outlet box. Then, a new (and a bit longer) cord would be connected to the other side of the outlet box. You could use whatever kind of electrical cord you wanted for that.

The end result would be an all-round better electrical setup. One way to make lemonade from lemons. ;)

A possible solution is something I am considering doing; install a weatherproof outdoor electrical outlet box on my grill so that I could conveniently plug in accessories (think charger for ThermoWorks Signals unit). That would involve cutting the existing cord and routing the short stub into one side of the outlet box. Then, a new (and a bit longer) cord would be connected to the other side of the outlet box. You could use whatever kind of electrical cord you wanted for that.

The end result would be an all-round better electrical setup. One way to make lemonade from lemons. ;)
The Wyldside has that feature-two weatherproof plugs that in the case of the Wyldside, is designe specifically for the rotisserie motors. It’s a really nice feature, and I’ve considered configuring something similar on my RT-700 to use an induction burner on the controller shelf.

...and these “Premium members“ get all bent out of shape.
I was idly ignoring this thread, until your above statement. So let me get this right. You come here bitching about a cord (and a few other things) which is your right do to and then get butt-hurt because others were asking questions or even suggesting remedies to assist you...including returning your Recteq. Then you go on and lump every "Premium Member" of this FORUM as some sort of mindless disciples for the great wonderful world of Rectec, LLC which I can assure you we are not.

I don't care if you come here to bitch. Many of us often do. I will say that 5 posts in you're making blanket bashes on other members which isn't cool on any forum.

Nice Avatar by the way Comrade. Enjoy your Recteq as best you can.

I bought a cord wrapping assembly from Hilbe. I keep my cord wrapped up and bring the extension cord to the pig tail in all types of weather.

Attachments

• IMG_8629.jpg
    IMG_8629.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_8507.JPG
    IMG_8507.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 121
I have a 590 and Bullseye, I have to use an extension cord for both as I dont want my grill that close to the house, no big deal.
My Blackstone dosent use a cord, but I do have to change the gas tanks occasionally, but I dont let it bother me.

Let’s give the OP a bit of a break here. We all have had frustrating days and let things get away from us a bit. Maybe we could get a bit more information on the specific nature of the cold-weather problem and look for possible solutions. If it is just stiffness in cold temperatures, a more flexible extension cord could save the day. Just a thought.

Anxious to see pics of your completed project.

Try this. Cord problem no more.
Now, that is definitely food for thought! I like the idea, but it doesn’t seem to provide the convenient extra outlet for accessories that I’m looking for. Hmmmmm. Maybe there’s a way to do that as well. Thanks for jogging this ol’ brain a bit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back