Insight on better meat thermometers

Thanks for all of your responses. I have gone through several thermometers so $70 is a gift. I just ordered mine! Gathering quality tools is part of the fun.
Great purchase!

Be sure to let us know what you think of it once you've tried it for a bit.

Thermapen, definitely the best, if you can't afford it get the thermapop.

I also have the thermaworks smoke and it works great.

I would like to get an IR Thermapen myself. But it’s going to have to be one of these crazy deep discounted opportunities.

@Roaniecowpony - How do you like the IR Thermapen? I've been on the fence of getting one for use with my Blackstone.
If you are looking at IR guns from other brands as well, I’ve had an older model of This IR on Amazon for over 4 years now and it has performed flawlessly. The one I have was $4 higher, great value If it works as well as mine does.

I am a little late to this thread...but I had been using the Thermoworks Super-Fast Mini Thermometer ($29) for the last 5+ years. While it works great, it is a tad bit slow (~5 secs) depending on the situation. I bought a Thermapen Mk4 last November (30% off) as a gift to myself and after using it the 1st time, I wondered why I waited so long to purchase it. Yes it probably costs more than most folks want to pay for a thermometer. I would definitely buy it on sale or open-box. When it comes to certain tools, you can benefit from it longer by buying it earlier.

The Mini Thermometer still works great but is mostly used as a backup now. I can definitely vouch for the Thermoworks reliability and accuracy. I like that the Mk4 is larger and fits better in my hand...though, I do wish the Thermapen kept the Min/Max like the Mini Thermometer.

Frankly, I rarely use the IR "tailgun" on the thermapen. Mostly I use a gun style IR thermometer https://www.thermoworks.com/IR-Gun

So, since I hardly use the IR tailgun of the Thermapen, I decided to do a comparison. I just did a couple surfaces and they matched the IR gun pretty closely. Then I put it to a comparison with some warm water.
20210321_094617.jpg

A couple years ago I wasn't ready to plop down $80 or $90 for an instant-read thermometer (aka Thermapen). Yet of course I still wanted one with all the features of a Thermapen. I settled on the LavaTools Javelin Pro Duo ( https://www.lavatools.co/products/javelin-pro-d ) and *love it*! Recommended by America's Test Kitchen. It has a response time of 2-3 seconds, backlit display, rotating screen for viewing at different tilt angles, perfect size, different colors, etc. Sometimes on sale, but typically ~$50 (about half the price of Thermapen). I use it all the time and am very happy with this purchase.
Funny story... you know what I just found stuck the the side of my refrigerator over the weekend? A new Javelin Pro. ROFL. I went into my Amazon history and searched for "thermometer" and not only did I discover that I've spent a lot of money on thermometers of various types over the years but I also bout one of these bad boys some four years ago. Who knew? Only thing I can say with certainty at this point in terms of first hand experience is that the battery life is really good. lol I can't want to use this sucker and see just how good it really is and if all those reviews I read years ago when decided were accurate.

Update on the Thermoworks sale. Orange Mk4 Thermapens are on sale for $69 now.

I still miss the old graphics that they used to have on the earlier models. I wanted a black thermapen with flames. Never did get one. Maybe they will have a flaming Mk4 some day.

Bring back the fun stuff, Thermoworks!

Last edited:
Funny story... you know what I just found stuck the the side of my refrigerator over the weekend? A new Javelin Pro. ROFL. I went into my Amazon history and searched for "thermometer" and not only did I discover that I've spent a lot of money on thermometers of various types over the years but I also bout one of these bad boys some four years ago. Who knew? Only thing I can say with certainty at this point in terms of first hand experience is that the battery life is really good. lol I can't want to use this sucker and see just how good it really is and if all those reviews I read years ago when decided were accurate.
Good find! The Javelin Pro is good, hope you like it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back