Bull Inner Lid Drip Shield sketch?

D16FEA03-68CE-4F85-91ED-0E2386B34AA9.jpeg

Just thinking out loud here, but wouldn't a round steel bar pretty much do the same thing? You'd have to use the high temp silicone, but you could filet (shown in red on attached) that. Lowes sells a hollow steel 3/4" x 36" rod for about $10, and the high temp silicone for about $6. I have no idea what size the screws are on the horns, but you should be able to drill the rod (or tack weld steel washer for mounting.)
I don't see why that wouldn't work, or just angle iron (but since bar or pipe is round, it might just run around it and you might possibly just end up in same boat). After all, all we are attempting to achieve here is preventing the grease and resin from running down the lid, saturating the fiber of our seals and then running onto the nice shinny barrel. Anything that would divert it back into the pit should do the job.

Last edited:
Keeps whatever moisture s running down the front inside of the lid from dripping on the ss below the lid. it will drip inside the bottom
Thanks

I don't see why that wouldn't work, or just angle iron (but since bar or pipe is round, it might just run around it and you might possibly just end up in same boat). After all, all we are attempting to achieve here is preventing the grease and resin from running down the lid, saturating the fiber of our seals and then running onto the nice shinny barrel. Anything that would divert it back into the pit should do the job.

I guess it's possible for it to run around the bar, but gravity should have it dripping off at the bottom middle of the bar.

Just throwing it out there, as it would be a cheaper option, I think. I live in NM so....I never see condensation on the inside of the lid. Still debating if I am going to seal the lid or not. I did it on my Traeger, but I see RecTeq says not to. Then again...I don't think it affects the grill as the auger fan is really what is bringing in air to the fire.

Will try tonight
1/8" is too too hard to bend
I put a twist in it when bending
It was also too close to the bottom so I had to drill new hole and grind part of the bottom edge off
$10 in material ($20 for the 6' I had to buy but can two out of it)

Last edited:
Okay, please pardon my ignorance. What exactly does this shield do?
I think I missed something.
Thanks,
Chris
It would stop grease buildup from running down the lid and then down the front of your smoker...it'd keep it all inside. If you haven't experienced things running down the front yet, you will... Just another means of keeping the stainless clean.

Last edited:
Here's a place that will sell you 1/16 thick x 2" wide strip of stainless (4 feet long) for $30. Should be pretty easy to bend, and just cut it down to the length you need.

https://www.metalsdepot.com/catalog/cart.

Oh, I contacted them and there is no minimum to buy. Shipping is probably $20+ depending on where you live.

Last edited:
@JGW That's a pretty good find! Price goes down with added quantities and free shipping when you purchase 10 or more. I wonder hard it would be to bend 1/16" SS cleanly?

Twice as easy as 1/8. 🤪

I've been thinking about the best way to bend it. Obviously a vice, but you'd only be able to do a section at a time.

Wondering if clamping the entire piece between two boards, after drilling the mounting holes and screwing them into one of the boards would work?

I'm also toying with the feasibility of just using angle iron. I'm still thinking anything that forces drips into the grill would work.

Can't beat "Jungle Direct" either.

Recteq should make Their own version of the rack jacks. Those would be pretty handy.

I feel like I've seen this strip of metal pre-made somewhere, bent and everything. Anyone have ideas as to where I may have seen it?
Looks somewhat like the metal flooring transition strips/carpet trim

The Bull is much wider....33 or 34 inches, if I had to guess.

I wish they sold the rack jacks separately. I'd get a set for sure.

If enough members are interested, I can put this together (or someone else more centrally located to the group). Just need anyone wanting one to participate to speak up and give your forum name & location. Maybe if a few members are close enough to each other I could ship theirs together to a single member of that group and they could be distributed amongst themselves to save shipping cost.
I’d be interested.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back