Infrared Thermometers

TheRicker

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I know for most cooking on my RT-700 I have no need for an infrared thermometer. However, I just added a Grilla Grills Primate gas grill that has a griddle (use griddle mode or regular grates). I've watched some videos of folks using griddles and it appears that knowing the temperature of the griddle (by zones) is important to what you're cooking...no different from using a Thermopen for smoking...or grilling with the RT-700. I've read some reviews of infrared thermometers and I'm probably more confused that I was before I started my research. Now, I'm trying to figure out whether I need a "K" type sensor or a "T" type sensor. Does anyone out there use an infrared? I'd love to hear how you use it and what you like or don't like about your make and model. Thanks.

K and T type are probes, not infrared sensors, the difference, briefly, is temperature range and accuracy. I have several ir guns and one has the capacity for a plug in K type probe, but that is in addition to the infrared, not really a necessity, and useless for the griddle top measuring function. Keep it simple for your first go round and get an ir only and as mentioned above, be mindful of the temperature ranges. I've seen some low priced ones that top out in the 200 degree range, worthless for your app.

Thank you.
Thank you.
K and T type are probes, not infrared sensors, the difference, briefly, is temperature range and accuracy. I have several ir guns and one has the capacity for a plug in K type probe, but that is in addition to the infrared, not really a necessity, and useless for the griddle top measuring function. Keep it simple for your first go round and get an ir only and as mentioned above, be mindful of the temperature ranges. I've seen some low priced ones that top out in the 200 degree range, worthless for your app.
Thank you. I didn't realize the probes were a separate part. After reading this and looking more at some online resources, I see what you mean.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back