Stampede Independence day

SmokingTrucker

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I wanted to stick with what I know so I wouldn’t mess a holiday meal. Good bark and great smoke ring. I used the recteq oak and hickory pellets. IT WAS A HUGE HIT BUT IT ALWAYS IS. This is my first rib cook and my new 590. I’m looking for a new method for baby backs. 3-2-1 is kind of a rookie method. Anyone got a better method. Teach me your wisdom, ol’ wise one.
CE30BE9A-CF3A-4C3A-AF98-118400FC2374.jpeg
C304D101-36BE-4CDA-81F1-E61F4AA66A2A.jpeg

I say stick to what you know. If you feel like trying a different method then go for it. Just remember what worked and what didn’t. Nothing wrong with the 3-2-1 method. I myself prefer no wrap. Low and slow till done. Others may prefer a different method. At the end of the day as long as you are happy with how your cook turned out that’s all that matters. BTW those ribs look tasty. Good job.

I wanted to stick with what I know so I wouldn’t mess a holiday meal. Good bark and great smoke ring. I used the recteq oak and hickory pellets. IT WAS A HUGE HIT BUT IT ALWAYS IS. This is my first rib cook and my new 590. I’m looking for a new method for baby backs. 3-2-1 is kind of a rookie method. Anyone got a better method. Teach me your wisdom, ol’ wise one.
View attachment 11380View attachment 11381
Those look fantastic! I did the 3-2-1 method Malcolm Reed style using his Competition Rib Recipe until I saw this video from this Mad Scientist BBQ. How to smoke pork ribs. Boils down to a personal preference in my opinion. The other day I stumbled across a ranch version Michael Symon's Ranch-Rubbed Pork Ribs | Symon's Dinners Cooking Out | Food Network. I am gonna try his version out next time as my youngest daughter loves ranch.

Those look fantastic! I did the 3-2-1 method Malcolm Reed style using his Competition Rib Recipe until I saw this video from this Mad Scientist BBQ. How to smoke pork ribs. Boils down to a personal preference in my opinion. The other day I stumbled across a ranch version Michael Symon's Ranch-Rubbed Pork Ribs | Symon's Dinners Cooking Out | Food Network. I am gonna try his version out next time as my youngest daughter loves ranch.
Sorry I posted and older video of the Mad Scientist BBQ. Here is the video I followed. Mad Scientist BBQ

I say stick to what you know. If you feel like trying a different method then go for it. Just remember what worked and what didn’t. Nothing wrong with the 3-2-1 method. I myself prefer no wrap. Low and slow till done. Others may prefer a different method. At the end of the day as long as you are happy with how your cook turned out that’s all that matters. BTW those ribs look tasty. Good job.
I got this “smoker diary” that I’m keeping notes in it on everything I cook. It’s very convenient. I’ll always make 321. It’s a crowd pleaser. Just looking for other rib recipes. I want to try a no wrap method. Thanks for the compliment

A ranch rub?!? That sounds amazing!

I'm firmly in the camp of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I've been doing no-wrap for a while only because it's less hassle. Also because I'm using a pellet smoker (as I guess we all are) I want a little extra time exposed to the smoke. They're a little less "fall off the bone" compared to when I would wrap but still plenty tender. They probably need to cook a little longer as well.

My next cook I'm going to try the Mad Scientist BBQ method of a very simply coarse S&P rub with the idea that maybe it allows for more smoke penetration. Since I finish with a pretty complex homemade sauce I wonder if I really need a rub with 10+ ingredients in it.

I'm firmly in the camp of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I've been doing no-wrap for a while only because it's less hassle. Also because I'm using a pellet smoker (as I guess we all are) I want a little extra time exposed to the smoke. They're a little less "fall off the bone" compared to when I would wrap but still plenty tender. They probably need to cook a little longer as well.

My next cook I'm going to try the Mad Scientist BBQ method of a very simply coarse S&P rub with the idea that maybe it allows for more smoke penetration. Since I finish with a pretty complex homemade sauce I wonder if I really need a rub with 10+ ingredients in it.
Michael Symon said one meat reaches 140 degrees internal temp the meat doesn’t take in any more smoke.

I use 50/50 kosher salt and coarse ground pepper and a little Voodoo from Meat church. Has a great smoke ring and flavor.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back