Bull Increase Smoke Flavor

MaxDraft

I'm looking for a poor man's way to increase the smoke flavor on some meat. Can I just dump some pellets in an aluminum pan, light them, and place on grill? Or what about shoving an empty beer can with top cut off full of pellets and poking holes in the side? Will that work, too? I know the smoke tubes are cheap and I will order one, but I need something for tonight. Thanks

You can put put wood chips right on top of the heat shield also. You have to get them good and hot first, and then you can turn it to 225° etc.
You could do the pellets in the pan I suppose, but make sure they have air getting to them in order to keep burning. Let us know what ya did*

I'm looking for a poor man's way to increase the smoke flavor on some meat. Can I just dump some pellets in an aluminum pan, light them, and place on grill? Or what about shoving an empty beer can with top cut off full of pellets and poking holes in the side? Will that work, too? I know the smoke tubes are cheap and I will order one, but I need something for tonight. Thanks
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZRR7XD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This does the trick. Use 90 proof rubbing alcohol and soak starter pellets in a shot glass for about 5 minutes. Drain excess alcohol and start in smoker tube. Let it burn a full 9 minutes and then place it in the smoker. Use it this thanksgiving for a whole turkey cook and it worked like a champ.

I ordered a smoke tube and yesterday, smoked 3 whole chickens (did not spatchcock these), each one with a different rub. Took about 4 hours at 250.
However, I filled the tube with pellets and lit one end and let it flame up for about 3 minutes before placing it in the smoker. I didn't think it was smoking that much but if still had about 25% left. Wow! The skin of each chicken was what I would describe as nearly extreme. Not in a bad way but almost taking over the rub. Thankfully the meat was perfectly smoked. I left the smoker open for about 3 hours after and I think it's truly broken in now. I could likely smoke something this week and not need the tube. I think next time I will only use half as much though it seems many on the net say you really need it packed to have the pellets light each other.
Moral of this story is, it worked. I'm still going to play around with it and maybe depending on what I smoke, only leave it in for an hour or so then remove it.

Something I forgot to mention is, take your chicken, turkey or pork bones and makes some stock with it. There's none better than the bones of smoked meat. We use the stock in rice, pasta and especially in gumbo and jambalaya. Beats the stuff you buy in the store by an eternal mile!

Something I forgot to mention is, take your chicken, turkey or pork bones and makes some stock with it. There's none better than the bones of smoked meat. We use the stock in rice, pasta and especially in gumbo and jambalaya. Beats the stuff you buy in the store by an eternal mile!
Absolutely. I make stock from the bones of everything I cook. I’ll save them in the freezer until I have enough to make stock, 4 kinds-beef, pork, chicken, and turkey.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back