I'm considering the RT 700 with Smoke Box

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
Has anyone made cold smoked salmon or Lox?

The smoker I have now gets a too hot when I try to cold smoke it and it gets too hot.

Has anyone had any success with this?

Best,
Steve

I smoke salmon all of the time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Set bull on LOW,lots of smoke,set fish over cooler plate and smoke to an IT of 115 to 120..just like softer smoked fish...freeze what I do not eat and is great after... just warm at room temp,the heat as you like..Of course you can smoke it until it is hard and dry..... LOL

I smoke salmon all of the time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Set bull on LOW,lots of smoke,set fish over cooler plate and smoke to an IT of 115 to 120..just like softer smoked fish...freeze what I do not eat and is great after... just warm at room temp,the heat as you like..Of course you can smoke it until it is hard and dry..... LOL
Hi Dean! Thank you for your service!

I think the cool plate is a good idea to help keep it cool!

Best,

What is the brand/model of cooler plate that you use? Do you use ice in the setup? Interested in learning more about cold smoking and I would like to try some cheese and salmon at some point, appreciate any suggestions.

I have a smoke box on my RT700, as well as the comp cart and front shelf.

In order of importance, I'd say the front shelf, then the comp cart, then the smoke box.

It is NOT a cold smoke box. When I run my 700 on LOW, the box can get well over 100F. After a while it approaches the main drum temps. Even just setting in direct sunlight it gets hot in the box. I'd say it's more of an extension of the drum. I'm actually considering making an insulation blanket to keep more heat to use it as an extension of the main drum. Right now, it's in the middle. Not hot enough to do bbq, not cold enough to do cheese (with the burner going).

I have had to use ice in trays to keep the smoke box below cheese melting temperatures when using the main burner on LOW. My last cheese smoke was just with a smoke tube in the main drum and the cheese in the box. I still had to cover the box and drum from sunlight to prevent it from melting the cheese, on a 70F day.

I was on the fence with the smoke box as well. I would like to do salmon also and went with the RT700 so I can add the Smoke Box later if I really wanted to. From what I have read for doing cold smoking most just do smoke tubes, put it in diag fan mode and let it go. Probably even add some ice in the main chamber.

So I used the money saved from not getting the Smoke Box now to get the Competition Cart. While the CC isn't something everyone needs, if I ever get around to moving it out of the garage to the patio, it is going through a lot of grass and over a sidewalk so it will be much easier to move with the CC in my case so it was a better use of the funds for now. Besides it seems like they have free shipping on over $100 quite a bit so I could just use that and get the Smoke Box later for basically the same price as now. Should I ever decide I want it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back