Bullseye Ignition issue with brand new bullseye

Sharkwinger

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
I just got my new bullseye and was trying to do the initial burn in, but the pellets will not ignite. I hear the fan running and the auger is turning. I put a small handful of new pellets in the pot, followed the directions, but no ignition. A few of the pellets were charred and very warm. I used Pit Boss pellets because that is all that Lowe’s had. Any suggestions as RT is not available until tomorrow.

I just got my new bullseye and was trying to do the initial burn in, but the pellets will not ignite. I hear the fan running and the auger is turning. I put a small handful of new pellets in the pot, followed the directions, but no ignition. A few of the pellets were charred and very warm. I used Pit Boss pellets because that is all that Lowe’s had. Any suggestions as RT is not available until tomorrow.
Cover the ignitor with pellets and try again.

Try running the test mode. I had the same issue and that is what worked for me.

Test Mode
Press and hold the Temp Display button and the Down Arrow at the same time. 8888 will appear on the screen. Once it does, let go.
Click Temp Display and 01.01 will appear, press Temp Display again to get to 5-1. Now press the Power Button to move to 5-2.
Next, press the Down Arrow for 5-3.
Then the Up Arrow for 5-4.
And finally, the Temp Display, now you should see IGN.
Using Temp Display scroll through IGN – AUG – FAN – RTD Test – MEAT PROBE Test – and finally BYE.
Hitting Temp Display while you’re on BYE will take you out of Test Mode.

Same thing happened with mine. I turned it off, then back on. It ignited on the second try. Got up to 450 during the initial burn in, then settled at 400. Cooked some chicken thighs and teriyaki steak on a stick and both turned out great.

Hey guys. I'm having the same issue with my brand new RT700. Everything seems to work properly, with the exception of the ignitor. I used a torch to get it started for the initial burn, just to get this guy ready for tomorrow's cook out.
The instructions above don't seem to apply my controller. I have the electronics with the "dial" temp settings, not arrow buttons. Can you also get into a test mode with this type of controller? I did check the fuse, and all is well. Thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys. I'm having the same issue with my brand new RT700. Everything seems to work properly, with the exception of the ignitor. I used a torch to get it started for the initial burn, just to get this guy ready for tomorrow's cook out.
The instructions above don't seem to apply my controller. I have the electronics with the "dial" temp settings, not arrow buttons. Can you also get into a test mode with this type of controller? I did check the fuse, and all is well. Thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Did you call RT.

Get the 700 instructions and follow the test procedures to see if your igniter is working.

Too Funny. I had the same issue just now. My new 380 is finally burning in. I could have sworn I read a "half handful" of pellets to start somewhere. RTFM. Says the pot should be half full.

Too Funny. I had the same issue just now. My new 380 is finally burning in. I could have sworn I read a "half handful" of pellets to start somewhere. RTFM. Says the pot should be half full.
The digital version of the manual from the Recteq website says a small handful or a 1/4 cup of pellets.

Cover the ignitor with pellets and try again.

Was having the same problem this morning with my newly assembled Bullseye. The manual should say fill the pot half way instead of 1/4 cup.

Covered the igniter with pellets and it started immediately!

my brother had the same issue, problem was solved by rek-tek the igniter was installed to far in from the factory, it had to moved out flush with were its held in. his was mounted in to far by around 3/8 in. just had to move out a lil....works 100% ever since....

I have had trouble with both my Bull and Bullseye failing to ignite on multiple occasions. Maybe a half dozen times in the last year. The common denominator was always PitBoss Comp Blend pellets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back