Igniter nuts on fire pot welded! Wtf

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
So the igniter stops working on the RT 700 I’m trying to get the igniter out of the fire pot, but I can’t because the two bolts that hold it securely in the sleeve that holds the igniter are welded to the sleeve and won’t turn. How is this possible? How am I supposed to get the thing out?

I dont see a hex head. It is basically just a bolt. And it’s spot welded it is not coming off. I’m calling Reqteq Monday to get a new fire pot

Clip from video @Greg Jones posted showing that.. the screws are inside the welded nuts. You need an allen key to remove.

Screenshot 2022-11-12 at 10.17.18 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-11-12 at 10.26.35 AM.png

Last edited:
Yep guys I’m clear. I think they are just corroded and you can’t even see the heads well enough to make out they are an Allen key. I think the answer is a new fire pot. I appreciate all the help.

Yep guys I’m clear. I think they are just corroded and you can’t even see the heads well enough to make out they are an Allen key. I think the answer is a new fire pot. I appreciate all the help.
That makes sense.. should be straight forward with Recteq knowing that.

I think the OP just made a simple job into a difficult and expensive one. A little work with an awl and air it would have made it easier.

Maybe. Maybe not. I’ve looked at this and like I said earlier, there are no noticeable hex heads. Let’s not try to condemn people. People come on here to look for helpful advice, not a bunch of condemnation by people who are not here looking at anything.

Maybe. Maybe not. I’ve looked at this and like I said earlier, there are no noticeable hex heads. Let’s not try to condemn people. People come on here to look for helpful advice, not a bunch of condemnation by people who are not here looking at anything.
Agreed! I think, however, most of the comments fall into the range of “been there, done that” rather than condemnations. Certainly, mine was intended that way. The recessed Allen sockets are not commonly used in the way they are in this scenario and it is probably the last thing most of us would be looking for without having it pointed out.

I’m guessing the new fire pot will go in a lot easier than the old one came out. Now that you know the “secret,” it should be a lot easier. Best of luck for a smooth install. You’ll be back to cooking on the grill in no time!

6.6 GM, glad you are getting it sorted out. This can be a PSA for us all to check the condition of our firepots and the attachments periodically to keep the build up from becoming a problem. At some point we may all come across this problem and you have saved us a considerable amount of angst. Well done. I personally thank you for this information. By the way, are you a GM diesel guy or do you have an old Trans Am?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back