If you've been on the fence...

Uncle Bob

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
...now might be the time to pull the trigger.

I would imagine that most if not all current owners are members of the "RT Insiders" so get/got the blast email today about July 4 promotions. At the modest end of the spectrum, they're offering 20% off on most accessory items using the promo code. At the big end of the spectrum, if the Bull is what you're thinking about, woah Nelly, the time is right. So, it gets a little jumbled in that RT has changed the bundle deals a bit. You can still buy just the cooker, the first bundle level is 5 bags of pellets added, and there is now only one higher level bundle that includes the most common added items. For the holiday this highest bundle is discounted an additional $200 bringing the loaded Bull in at $1599. I could list the goodies, but just go to the site to see it...it's a real deal. If someone were vacillating between a Stampede and a Bull strictly because of price (meaning no other legitimate considerations) this might just push you over. The shelf alone would represent a big part of the $250 difference between the loaded Stampede and the loaded Bull, but there's also a sixth bag of pellets, the added warranty period, and the somewhat larger capacity to make up the rest.

The only folks who might get their undies in a bit of a bundle would be those who ordered in recent days and may not have been told that this deal was on the near horizon. Well, if I were one of those folks I'd be on the phone asking that I be compensated in some way... given the RT focus on customer satisfaction I'd be surprised if there weren't some consideration extended.

How about those of us who ordered and it has gone completely sideways. As of last night my replacement was still showing "waiting to be picked up" ?

Holiday week could complicate shipping. You're just that odd situation that didn't go well...…...I know, not much solace in that.

Soon to be RT-700 owner here. I almost pulled the trigger too soon, not knowing about the 4th of July sale. But procrastination paid off, and I came back to my shopping cart Monday to find out the deal had sweetened. So the Bull is on its way and I'm gearing up for 321 St Louis ribs as my first cook. It should be here late next week!

PS Happy Independence Day! And thank you to all our current and former military service members!

How about those of us who ordered and it has gone completely sideways. As of last night my replacement was still showing "waiting to be picked up" ?
I got mine on Wednesday, but the burn in was a disaster and tech support wasn't all that great although part of this may be due to my "newbiness" to this. I started the burn in and it went ot 350 and then the temps took a dive. After an hour of it dropping to 250 I called tech support and they said to wait. Ok, so I waited another 2 hours and it dropped to 135. Called them back and the fan wasn't working all along. So I got the fan working and because the temp was low, the auger was throwing pellets at a huge rate. Once it got going, I had a pretty good fire. Got everything cleaned up and finished the burn in, but I got a lot of blueing on my grill and some tin foil melted to my drip pan...... Not a great start but hoping for better finishes.

They said some issues with shipping. To get working, I crawled underneath of it and nudged it with a butterknife and it started spinning right up. It sounded like it was a common issue because they suggested it fairly quickly on my second call. When I called the third time, they had some other config changes like changing the auger speed to 30 and tightening down the nuts where the meat probes connect. They were loose and the tech said that if they weren't tight, you will get inconsistent readings.

@ehirst the blueing/discoloration comes either way it's just how the stainless reacts to heat, but I understand your pain. Hopefully this is your only hiccup and you can start smokin like a champ !

They said some issues with shipping. To get working, I crawled underneath of it and nudged it with a butterknife and it started spinning right up. It sounded like it was a common issue because they suggested it fairly quickly on my second call. When I called the third time, they had some other config changes like changing the auger speed to 30 and tightening down the nuts where the meat probes connect. They were loose and the tech said that if they weren't tight, you will get inconsistent readings.
Another shipping issue, RecTec needs to establish a better delivery company, they are getting screwed by shitty delivery companies and or drivers/employees.... You're the fourth person (including myself) that has had damage to their purchase this way. Not only does it piss off the buyer, it costs RT more money, and a bad rap when technically its not even their fault. Just to be clear I love RecTec and my RT 700. Goodluck with your future cooks.

Who were the shipping companies that delivered damaged goods? I know UPS was one of them. Mine is apparently being shipped (all the way to the West coast) by SAIA.

Mine was Estes... But they also sub-out deliveries and that may be the problem.
Hard to say but too many smashed boxes in my opinion.. then again, S&$# happens.

My first grill was UPS and looked like an elephant sat on it and it took 5 days to get to me. Shipped on monday and came friday.

Second grill was UPS as well and it came in pristine condition and it took 3 days?!?! Shipped on monday and got it Wednesday...GO FIGURE?!?

Mine has arrived at the destination terminal as of this morning. I suppose I'll be receiving a call for a delivery appointment soon.

I wanted to do 321 ribs first. But my son insists on tenderloins. Ok, twist my arm. :giggle:. Is Killer Hogs steak rub a good choice?

I'm extremely frustrated with the shipping issues. I was lied to by Saia who had a rep call me last week to say it would be delivered today between 11 and 3 (Arlington VA). So I take the day off work. I then get a call today at 11:30 from a different company (PBX) that has the shipment and wants to set up a time for tomorrow. They said Saia is not supposed to call customers to arrange appointments as they are not the actual delivering company. This is costing me time and money and Rec Tec should re-evaluate their shipping partners. Not a good start.

I'm extremely frustrated with the shipping issues. I was lied to by Saia who had a rep call me last week to say it would be delivered today between 11 and 3 (Arlington VA). So I take the day off work. I then get a call today at 11:30 from a different company (PBX) that has the shipment and wants to set up a time for tomorrow. They said Saia is not supposed to call customers to arrange appointments as they are not the actual delivering company. This is costing me time and money and Rec Tec should re-evaluate their shipping partners. Not a good start.
I feel your frustration and am sorry your having a problem but from what I have been able to discern....all of the shipping companies all have their own disregard for their customers. I needed to have 2 deliveries because the first one UPS delivered was so badly damaged...it looked like it was crushed. All I can say is that once you get it, build it and it is running...I promise you will love it and these bad things will just disappear. Ill be rooting for you!

Thanks. I am really looking forward to it. I'm a long-time smoker and griller, having owned a WSM and currently running a Primo XL ceramic (which I will keep for the high temp cooks). I've found the Primo to be great but a bit fiddly for long smokes at low temps, even with a Digi-Q so I'm looking forward to some set it and forget it bbq'ing :)

Thanks. I am really looking forward to it. I'm a long-time smoker and griller, having owned a WSM and currently running a Primo XL ceramic (which I will keep for the high temp cooks). I've found the Primo to be great but a bit fiddly for long smokes at low temps, even with a Digi-Q so I'm looking forward to some set it and forget it bbq'ing :)

Funny, almost exactly what I've said about my KJ, right down to the DigiQ...………..Welcome aboard.

SAIA called for the delivery appointment today. I'm busy until Monday, then will take the afternoon off. Hope they don't leave me hanging out to dry.

Most problems I've read involved secondary and third delivery company's...I had a problem myself...I agree RecTec (although not their fault) should make a switch if the designated delivery systems are not performing... Other than that enjoy your new smoker/grill !!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back