If you could only have 3 rubs...

I vote for Bad Byron's Butt Rub and the homemade SPOG. I have also been happy with several of the Recteq rubs.

So, I am afraid finding concensus here may be challenging. But, there are lots of great options to consider.
BBBR is good stuff. I used to use it on pork butt. Sometimes I still get it. It's close to my staple; John Henry's Texas Brisket Rub.

Whops.. I thought the subject line was referring to something else.. good thing I read a few posts before commenting :oops:.

Since I'm here, we really do like the Casanova's Competition Rub & Ron's Screamin Pig but our go to for almost anything.. and I mean anything is Uncle Chris Gourmet Steak Seasoning. Use that $hit on anything!

Unfortunately some of these things are regional and hard to get. For instance, my favorite all purpose spice is Pat's Of Henderson Perioux but unless you go to Lake Charles, LA, you can't get it. And actually since COVID they have stopped making it. I was lucky and my wife's cousin gave us some from her stash. She said the owner wasn't sure when they would start back producing it.

Also, for me I'm constantly trying different ones and also mixing different rubs/brands. My go to is Rudy's rub and I buy it from their bbq joint. I use it on brisket and pork shoulder. Also really like their non-sissy bbq sauce. Sucklebusters and Meat Church are "local" for me and I really like all their stuff. I also really like Smokin' X Simply Pecan Rub and Killen's BBQ Rub (Houston area BBQ joint).

I have the luxury of being able to stop at Buc-ee's, they carry a wide variety of Texas made rubs. Not sure if non-Texas locations have rubs for the state they are in since I haven't been to one that is not in Texas.

Not sure I could narrow it down to just 3!

BBBR is good stuff. I used to use it on pork butt. Sometimes I still get it. It's close to my staple; John Henry's Texas Brisket Rub.
I tried BBBR and must have had a bad bottle. It was insanely hot and I like hot. I cut it 50/50 with brown sugar and it was still too hot to eat. Something had to have been wrong with my bottle for so many people to like that rub. It tasted like straight cayenne and death. Haven’t had the umph to try it again.

I tried BBBR and must have had a bad bottle. It was insanely hot and I like hot. I cut it 50/50 with brown sugar and it was still too hot to eat. Something had to have been wrong with my bottle for so many people to like that rub. It tasted like straight cayenne and death. Haven’t had the umph to try it again.
Sure sounds like it! Ouch.

Well. I’m a big fan of the KISS principle. Keep it simple stupid. So many of these concoctions have so much crap in them you lose site of the main event The meat. For my money you cannot beat spg. Salt pepper garlic powder. Works on everything

Anything Heath Riles.

I also mix the recteq competition rub and Heifer dust 50-50. Put it on anything and it’s great.

I made ribs with it one time. The family still refers to those as “Mike’s Hell Fire Ribs”! Great flavor but the heat was insane.

Kinder’s Buttery Steakhouse rub is my current top of list.
Ribs and steaks take very well to this rub.

Very available now.

Pappy's.
Every time I try something different...I'm let down.

I have stopped spending money trying to find better.

Well. I’m a big fan of the KISS principle. Keep it simple stupid. So many of these concoctions have so much crap in them you lose site of the main event The meat. For my money you cannot beat spg. Salt pepper garlic powder. Works on everything
Amen to that!

Man only 3,
Lanes signature or suckle busters spg
Hard core carnivore
Brisket Mafia

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back