Ideas for my new smoke box

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I’ve been waiting to score a smoke box for close to two years and it’s finally scheduled to arrive on Friday!! What are some good ideas/recipes that y’all would recommend? I plan to smoke cheese and some nuts almost immediately. What would you do next?? Any good tips/tricks for someone new to the “cold smoke box”??

Stay grillin y’all!!

I’d recommend cheese for your first smoke experiment. Just make sure to keep some ice in a pan near the blocks to keep the cheese from melting. While you wait, put some ball shaped ice cubes in the smokebox and a glass of whiskey. Makes for a refreshing drink.

Smoked cream cheese is wonderful also. One of my favorite things to smoke is kosher salt-it adds a nice, smokey flavor to many vegetables that you normally wouldn’t put in your grill.

One thing to be aware of is that it’s tempting to want to multitask and smoke things in the box while smoking meats on the grill. The stuff in the smokebox will pick up the flavors of what is on the grill, and the result isn’t always pleasant.

Smoked cream cheese is wonderful also. One of my favorite things to smoke is kosher salt-it adds a nice, smokey flavor to many vegetables that you normally wouldn’t put in your grill.

One thing to be aware of is that it’s tempting to want to multitask and smoke things in the box while smoking meats on the grill. The stuff in the smokebox will pick up the flavors of what is on the grill, and the result isn’t always pleasant.
Smoked cream cheese sounds great! I'd think it melts SUPER easy. Is that a fair assumption? And, smoking the salt....amazing idea!

Smoked cream cheese sounds great! I'd think it melts SUPER easy. Is that a fair assumption? And, smoking the salt....amazing idea!
As long as you keep it at 200 or below it wont melt on you. And let me tell you it will be a constant thing once you try it haha

As long as you keep it at 200 or below it wont melt on you. And let me tell you it will be a constant thing once you try it haha
on an RT-590 could I smoke cheese by blocking a couple of the vents and light two smoke tubes without starting the RT 590? Just a thought. Would it work for salmon?

Feel free to tell me I'm nuts.

@Maule Guy I think you‘ll be fine. I use one smoke tube in my 700 and put the fan on test mode. I’m not sure I would worry about blocking any of the vents, especially if you use two smoke tubes.

I don’t smoke fish so I can’t help you there.

on an RT-590 could I smoke cheese by blocking a couple of the vents and light two smoke tubes without starting the RT 590? Just a thought. Would it work for salmon?

@Waterboy has the best suggestion. Leave the vents unblocked and turn on the fan in test mode.

Never tried to smoke jerky salmon if that is what you are thinking. I would suggest you need to slice it pretty thin to smoke it. Years ago we did that with largemouth bass on an electric box made to dry out meat and fish for jerky.

I do smoke filets of salmon at 225 and then at 325 to crisp them up a bit using Alder pellets.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back