I have to say I am thoroughly underwhelmed so far

We'd need to know why they chose to only support 2.4ghz. 5ghz does not carry as far as 2.5ghz, and 5 GHz networks do not penetrate solid objects such as walls nearly as well as do 2.4 GHz signals. So there may be good reason for what they do.

Last edited:
We'd need to know why they chose to only support 2.4ghz. 5ghz does not carry as far as 2.5ghz, and 5 GHz networks do not penetrate solid objects such as walls nearly as well as do 2.4 GHz signals. So there may be good reason for what they do.
That's a valid point, until you realize most any modern (like within the last many years) that most wifi adapters that support both will easily switch from one to another pending signal strength. So having support for both doesn't force you into just one band.

Regardless of the reason, they need a better way to support 5ghz in one sense or another without forcing end users to re-configure their router when most end users don't even understand how a router works let alone how to reconfigure one.

In reading the WiFi setup manual they specifically mention that 2.4 reaches farther than 5 so I'm guessing that's the reason.

I have other 2.4ghz devices in my house so it was surprising I had to jump through the hoops I did to get it connected because I didn't for those.

In any event, I think today is burn in day!

Burn in has started!

Rq2KrVe.jpg

after reading the post where it took someone 45 minutes to get to 375, I started to worry when it was only at 108 after 15 minutes, but I came inside to post here and after 10 more minutes checked the temp again and it was at 275. I'm guessing the auger was still priming. I'm at 400 now and it took 25 minutes to get there.

I'm in San Diego, it's not here today so that helps. 95 outside.

1 hour to go!

I was an inch away from ordering the RT590. I have gotten a little cold feet reading these threads. Seems like there are multiple concerns: getting up to temp, soot building up, probe not working and connect-ability issues, used only their pellets? Am I just paranoid or are these legitimate concerns. I want a pellet grill that just does what it says it does. The built-in probes and Wi-Fi are big things to me, and it seems like both of those have serious issues. not trying to bash the grill or brand, but want some honest opinions before I pull the trigger I guess.

If you can find a better smoker for a similar price, buy it. Most manufacturers have issues like these. Try reading about the Smokefire, or the Timberline, same kind of problems.

I for one have had none of the issues you bring up. I think forums work great as a place to vent, not so many come to praise a product. We do not get to see how small a sample of buyers actually frequent a forum.

If you can find a better smoker for a similar price, buy it. Most manufacturers have issues like these. Try reading about the Smokefire, or the Timberline, same kind of problems.

I for one have had none of the issues you bring up. I think forums work great as a place to vent, not so many come to praise a product. We do not get to see how small a sample of buyers actually frequent a forum.

I did not want to sound negative, just trying to be sure I know what I’m getting into. Obviously I did a lot of research before deciding on one, that’s how I found this forum. Just commenting on what I’m reading and trying to find out if it’s legitimate issue or not. Your reply is reassuring - I will say that. Overall, the vast majority of reviews have been the best on the Rec Tec, I didn’t see any of these mentioned issues until visiting here, so you’re probably right. I have a friend of mine that’s getting ready to buy another one as, he has had a Traeger for years, but reviews on those are not very good. He is also leaning to the RT590.

I agree. While there are clearly some stories on this forum about legitimate issues, I think most opinions on RT are very positive. I researched for weeks before deciding to buy my Bull. It has been used just about every weekend for the past five months. The results have been excellent. Heat up has been smooth, the Wifi was no problem to set up, probes are pretty darn accurate and no requirement to use RT pellets. I have used multiple Lumberjack blends with great results. Lots of opinions here on pellets, and folks seem to find what works for them.

And to anyone who is hesitating a bit, no harm in asking some questions and soliciting opinions. Plenty of us here who are happy to give honest feedback.

I was an inch away from ordering the RT590. I have gotten a little cold feet reading these threads. Seems like there are multiple concerns: getting up to temp, soot building up, probe not working and connect-ability issues, used only their pellets? Am I just paranoid or are these legitimate concerns. I want a pellet grill that just does what it says it does. The built-in probes and Wi-Fi are big things to me, and it seems like both of those have serious issues. not trying to bash the grill or brand, but want some honest opinions before I pull the trigger I guess.
I started this thread and now that mine is up and running, I have no issues with the quality of the product. I think they could improve a bit on their instructions and while I have not yet been able to call them, it's well known they'll do what it takes to help you when you do call.

As mentioned above, if you think there's a better pellet grill out there, buy it. I researched into oblivion and landed on the Stampede and while there have been some assembly frustrations, it's worked perfectly in my initial burn in.

I have the Stampede and I also have the Bullseye. I made my purchase in March. I think if you truly look around the Forum, you will find many devoted users. The grills basically do what they say they're going to do. Their reliability is more consistent than any other grill on the market I believe.

While Rec Teq may be a big operation, it feels like a small family business to me. I have never had any issues reaching someone and they have always been very generous with their time and knowledge. I had a couple of issues when I got my Stampede and they were resolved with one phone call. Not to mention they sent me gifts to go along with my troubles.

I believe we are all here for one another. To gain knowledge, and expertise from people who have been down the same path before us.

I hope you enjoy your grill and the many cooks you will have on it. Some will work and be great, others will not. Please share them with us. Welcome!

Get ready for some irritated ranting!

I order my 590 2 1/2 weeks ago and after complete incompetence by UPS it arrived yesterday.

Understand that I am a data/detail/knowledge nut and because it took 2 1/2 weeks for min to get here, I did a lot of research.

I see there's a thread at the top of the forum regarding the manual, but that link is dead. If you do a search on the rectec website for "manual" nothing comes up. I looked everywhere for an assembly manual, but could not find it. If you watch the videos they've created, they're very short and sped up so that you have to watch them a bunch to catch the little things when assembling. It sure would be easier to scroll through a manual so I don't have to keep stopping and starting a damn YouTube video.

I opened the big box expecting there to be a manual or instructions or something in there on how to assemble, but there was nothing so, as mentioned above, I watched the video about 30 times to get all the steps correct. I got it together, stood it up and at that point was so ornery because of what I'd call poor customer relations/instructions on their part, I decided to wait unto today to assemble the competition cart.

I open the cart box and there's a black piece of paper in there with "SAVE THIS" printed all over it and a QR code. I think "hey, awesome, there will be some information on how to assemble the cart and how to attach it to my 590 when I'm done. Sur wish they'd done this for the actual 590, but nope, scanning the QR code brings me to how to assemble the 590. Great, but I've already done that. How about some information on how to assemble the competition cart and then get it attached to the 590? Of course there's no manual on assembling the cart So, I've watched the video how to assemble a bunch and have the cart built, but I'll be damned if they show how to attach it to the 590.

So I set off to search the internet on how to do that and come across an older thread on here that shows it was an absolute waste of my time yesterday attaching the legs and the bottom shelf because they aren't used if I have the cart. I've muttered every 4 letter word known to man about rectec and their pathetic instructions at this point. Apparently you're just supposed to know all this.

It is astonishing they have a video about the cart and a video about how to assemble it, but nothing on how to attach the barrel of the 590 to the cart. Hopefully it's "obvious" when I get the damn legs unattached and attempt to put the barrel on the cart.

At this point, if I didn't live about as far away from them as you can, I'd return my 590 and get something else from, a different manufacturer. This is literally unacceptable to me and honestly embarrassing for them.

Hopefully my attitude towards them changes once I start cooking, but so far, the frustration has been through the roof and I can't recommend getting one of their products to anyone.
100%. Putting together my Bull was a bs nightmare. No instructions for which of the various bolt parts in the many bolt part package went with each other. The videos give quick snippets of a completed bolt but don’t ID those back to the package (which was letter labeled but the manual and videos don’t use those labels); they just don’t show which is what. I internetted like ffing crazy to no avail. No descriptions of which similarly looking bolt/washer/nut parts make which bolts and go in which place. I had to figure it out myself. It took a couple hours to get right and I was pissed the whole time. Total bs. I mean geez look at an IKEA directions set for a clue to how it should be done.
But then it was finished and I love it. Rough start got much better.

My intent behind my post was to simply vent my frustrations. I was, and sort of still am, irritated with the lack of instructions that came with my order. Maybe things should have been obvious, but they weren't to me. The intent of the post was to be more tongue-in-cheek than it came across. Sorry if I was over the top a bit.

I live on the west coast and have a job I have to go to every day. With RecTec being on the east coast, it's very difficult to call them, when I'm in front of the grill, to ask questions. as they're not open yet by the time I leave for work and they're closed by the time I get home during the week. I do see that they're open on Saturdays though so if I need to, I can call on Saturday. I've only had my 590 for 3 days now so I haven't owned it on a Saturday to call them yet. :)

It still seems to me, there should be a document/piece of paper/website that says "start here....do this first....if you bought the competition cart, after you do this....skip to step 6". I realize my expectations may be a bit out of line and my post should have been more of a "it'd be nice if they had this" rather than the...."this is unacceptable" response I originally posted. As mentioned I was frustrated, I felt like my time had been wasted and I was upset. Don't worry. I had a beer (or 6) and have calmed down. 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

I completely understand this site is not, at all, affiliated with RecTec. I realize there's link on the RecTeq site for the manual, and I was upset that searching their site for the word "manual" didn't reveal any results. I'm not upset at any of you. You've been very helpful in the questions I've asked so far.

In good news, the grill is together and all I need to do now is download the app and get it connected to my wifi so I can do my initial burn in. I've got pellets and also have a big flat of bone in, skin on, chicken thighs and some new Meat Church rubs to break it in with this weekend.
It’s all good. Cold ones always clear these small things up.
I’m sure you’ll love your Rec Tec as much as the rest of us.
Enjoy it!

I totally get it, it’s a big purchase and one you want to be happy with. I went back and forth for about a year before I pulled the trigger...In my opinion trying it is risk free. Unless they have changed their policy lately there should be a 30 day money back guarantee if you are not happy. If you are unsure give it a try see if you like it. If you don’t, send it back, all is good. I don’t know that other smoker manufacturers in this price point are offering similar guarantees. It helped give me piece of mind when I finally got mine.

I had a similar experience. I find it odd that they cut $.50 savings on a manual and expect folks to get on the internet and search. I eventually found it and like others have said, the nut and bolts are numbered but doesn’t match up with the manual.

Give you an example of another thing. Hunts meatloaf mix in a can. Brought one home one day, they had a website on the back of the can to get the recipe. Seriously. They made you go to a website. On the website they had thousands of reviews for a total of 2 stars reviews. Almost all of them beat them up on making them go to a website to the recipe. A couple months I bought another can and guess what, the recipe was on the back. They listened. Complain to req tec. Maybe they will spend the $.50 for a manual in the future.

Get ready for some irritated ranting!

I order my 590 2 1/2 weeks ago and after complete incompetence by UPS it arrived yesterday.

Understand that I am a data/detail/knowledge nut and because it took 2 1/2 weeks for min to get here, I did a lot of research.

I see there's a thread at the top of the forum regarding the manual, but that link is dead. If you do a search on the rectec website for "manual" nothing comes up. I looked everywhere for an assembly manual, but could not find it. If you watch the videos they've created, they're very short and sped up so that you have to watch them a bunch to catch the little things when assembling. It sure would be easier to scroll through a manual so I don't have to keep stopping and starting a damn YouTube video.

I opened the big box expecting there to be a manual or instructions or something in there on how to assemble, but there was nothing so, as mentioned above, I watched the video about 30 times to get all the steps correct. I got it together, stood it up and at that point was so ornery because of what I'd call poor customer relations/instructions on their part, I decided to wait unto today to assemble the competition cart.

I open the cart box and there's a black piece of paper in there with "SAVE THIS" printed all over it and a QR code. I think "hey, awesome, there will be some information on how to assemble the cart and how to attach it to my 590 when I'm done. Sur wish they'd done this for the actual 590, but nope, scanning the QR code brings me to how to assemble the 590. Great, but I've already done that. How about some information on how to assemble the competition cart and then get it attached to the 590? Of course there's no manual on assembling the cart So, I've watched the video how to assemble a bunch and have the cart built, but I'll be damned if they show how to attach it to the 590.

So I set off to search the internet on how to do that and come across an older thread on here that shows it was an absolute waste of my time yesterday attaching the legs and the bottom shelf because they aren't used if I have the cart. I've muttered every 4 letter word known to man about rectec and their pathetic instructions at this point. Apparently you're just supposed to know all this.

It is astonishing they have a video about the cart and a video about how to assemble it, but nothing on how to attach the barrel of the 590 to the cart. Hopefully it's "obvious" when I get the damn legs unattached and attempt to put the barrel on the cart.

At this point, if I didn't live about as far away from them as you can, I'd return my 590 and get something else from, a different manufacturer. This is literally unacceptable to me and honestly embarrassing for them.

Hopefully my attitude towards them changes once I start cooking, but so far, the frustration has been through the roof and I can't recommend getting one of their products to anyone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back