I have to say I am thoroughly underwhelmed so far

Put mine together and started initial burn in just under an hour. I kinda thought it was cool they deleted the manual. I put my smoker tools and that flier with the scan code in a Pelican case on the shelf below.

Get ready for some irritated ranting!

I order my 590 2 1/2 weeks ago and after complete incompetence by UPS it arrived yesterday.

Understand that I am a data/detail/knowledge nut and because it took 2 1/2 weeks for min to get here, I did a lot of research.

I see there's a thread at the top of the forum regarding the manual, but that link is dead. If you do a search on the rectec website for "manual" nothing comes up. I looked everywhere for an assembly manual, but could not find it. If you watch the videos they've created, they're very short and sped up so that you have to watch them a bunch to catch the little things when assembling. It sure would be easier to scroll through a manual so I don't have to keep stopping and starting a damn YouTube video.

I opened the big box expecting there to be a manual or instructions or something in there on how to assemble, but there was nothing so, as mentioned above, I watched the video about 30 times to get all the steps correct. I got it together, stood it up and at that point was so ornery because of what I'd call poor customer relations/instructions on their part, I decided to wait unto today to assemble the competition cart.

I open the cart box and there's a black piece of paper in there with "SAVE THIS" printed all over it and a QR code. I think "hey, awesome, there will be some information on how to assemble the cart and how to attach it to my 590 when I'm done. Sur wish they'd done this for the actual 590, but nope, scanning the QR code brings me to how to assemble the 590. Great, but I've already done that. How about some information on how to assemble the competition cart and then get it attached to the 590? Of course there's no manual on assembling the cart So, I've watched the video how to assemble a bunch and have the cart built, but I'll be damned if they show how to attach it to the 590.

So I set off to search the internet on how to do that and come across an older thread on here that shows it was an absolute waste of my time yesterday attaching the legs and the bottom shelf because they aren't used if I have the cart. I've muttered every 4 letter word known to man about rectec and their pathetic instructions at this point. Apparently you're just supposed to know all this.

It is astonishing they have a video about the cart and a video about how to assemble it, but nothing on how to attach the barrel of the 590 to the cart. Hopefully it's "obvious" when I get the damn legs unattached and attempt to put the barrel on the cart.

At this point, if I didn't live about as far away from them as you can, I'd return my 590 and get something else from, a different manufacturer. This is literally unacceptable to me and honestly embarrassing for them.

Hopefully my attitude towards them changes once I start cooking, but so far, the frustration has been through the roof and I can't recommend getting one of their products to anyone.
I would think as a data nut you would have already found and viewed the info while waiting 2.5 weeks for arrival?

I agree, including a manual with the grill would have been nice, but a few seconds on the tecteq site was all it took to find one.

I'm sorry, but for a "data/detail/knowledge nut" you're not very competent in finding data or using simple technology.

Get ready for some irritated ranting!

I order my 590 2 1/2 weeks ago and after complete incompetence by UPS it arrived yesterday.

Understand that I am a data/detail/knowledge nut and because it took 2 1/2 weeks for min to get here, I did a lot of research.

I see there's a thread at the top of the forum regarding the manual, but that link is dead. If you do a search on the rectec website for "manual" nothing comes up. I looked everywhere for an assembly manual, but could not find it. If you watch the videos they've created, they're very short and sped up so that you have to watch them a bunch to catch the little things when assembling. It sure would be easier to scroll through a manual so I don't have to keep stopping and starting a damn YouTube video.

I opened the big box expecting there to be a manual or instructions or something in there on how to assemble, but there was nothing so, as mentioned above, I watched the video about 30 times to get all the steps correct. I got it together, stood it up and at that point was so ornery because of what I'd call poor customer relations/instructions on their part, I decided to wait unto today to assemble the competition cart.

I open the cart box and there's a black piece of paper in there with "SAVE THIS" printed all over it and a QR code. I think "hey, awesome, there will be some information on how to assemble the cart and how to attach it to my 590 when I'm done. Sur wish they'd done this for the actual 590, but nope, scanning the QR code brings me to how to assemble the 590. Great, but I've already done that. How about some information on how to assemble the competition cart and then get it attached to the 590? Of course there's no manual on assembling the cart So, I've watched the video how to assemble a bunch and have the cart built, but I'll be damned if they show how to attach it to the 590.

So I set off to search the internet on how to do that and come across an older thread on here that shows it was an absolute waste of my time yesterday attaching the legs and the bottom shelf because they aren't used if I have the cart. I've muttered every 4 letter word known to man about rectec and their pathetic instructions at this point. Apparently you're just supposed to know all this.

It is astonishing they have a video about the cart and a video about how to assemble it, but nothing on how to attach the barrel of the 590 to the cart. Hopefully it's "obvious" when I get the damn legs unattached and attempt to put the barrel on the cart.

At this point, if I didn't live about as far away from them as you can, I'd return my 590 and get something else from, a different manufacturer. This is literally unacceptable to me and honestly embarrassing for them.

Hopefully my attitude towards them changes once I start cooking, but so far, the frustration has been through the roof and I can't recommend getting one of their products to anyone.
Its fairly simple, I just glanced at the instructions and had it assembled in about 30 minutes

When I got my 590, I did not know there were not any instructions. I don't think I looked.

I received my 590 in business days. Opened box had 4 pieces of steel with wheels attached, must be legs for support. Put 4 pieces of steel in holes that they would fit in turned it up on wheels. cooked the very best butt I have ever ate. Manual??

I was an inch away from ordering the RT590. I have gotten a little cold feet reading these threads. Seems like there are multiple concerns: getting up to temp, soot building up, probe not working and connect-ability issues, used only their pellets? Am I just paranoid or are these legitimate concerns. I want a pellet grill that just does what it says it does. The built-in probes and Wi-Fi are big things to me, and it seems like both of those have serious issues. not trying to bash the grill or brand, but want some honest opinions before I pull the trigger I guess.
I bought my RT590, I moved up from a Weber 3 legged grill. I’m old and not a tech guy. i removed from box by myself, the box is made in three pieces very thoughtful because of weight. Plugged in and it pared with phone immediately on demand. It will hold temp within one degree of setting. This is the best grill money can buy. You will be happy.

This is a great discussion and highlights the very reason a company should include instructions that are detailed enough to provide clear direction to the user. I realize we are in the age of the internet however, it should not be assumed that everyone has internet access but I know I am a dinosaur. I am fortunate enough to have above average technical and mechanical skills but I could have saved myself 5 minutes of “trial fit” time if RT included a little more detail. However, some of my spent time was because I ordered the competition cart and didn’t trust myself as I selected a couple of the hardware components. I also “cheated” and used Youtube before I ordered my Bull so I was at least somewhat familiar with the general assembly concept. One great thing about my experience was I noticed I was so excited that it seemed like it took forever but in hindsite, it was only about 20 minutes with the assistance of my teenage son which gave us some bonding time that I am sure is priceless.

If someone is buying from Recteq, it's safe to assume they have some form of internet access. RT sells via the website and social media, not stores and mail order catalogs. Generally speaking, a large percentage of product manuals go right in the trash unread or only get opened once. RT is hardly breaking new ground these days by going electronic. If someone wants a printed manual, then get the PDF and print it. Problem solved.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back