Stampede I have to say I am thoroughly underwhelmed so far

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Get ready for some irritated ranting!

I order my 590 2 1/2 weeks ago and after complete incompetence by UPS it arrived yesterday.

Understand that I am a data/detail/knowledge nut and because it took 2 1/2 weeks for min to get here, I did a lot of research.

I see there's a thread at the top of the forum regarding the manual, but that link is dead. If you do a search on the rectec website for "manual" nothing comes up. I looked everywhere for an assembly manual, but could not find it. If you watch the videos they've created, they're very short and sped up so that you have to watch them a bunch to catch the little things when assembling. It sure would be easier to scroll through a manual so I don't have to keep stopping and starting a damn YouTube video.

I opened the big box expecting there to be a manual or instructions or something in there on how to assemble, but there was nothing so, as mentioned above, I watched the video about 30 times to get all the steps correct. I got it together, stood it up and at that point was so ornery because of what I'd call poor customer relations/instructions on their part, I decided to wait unto today to assemble the competition cart.

I open the cart box and there's a black piece of paper in there with "SAVE THIS" printed all over it and a QR code. I think "hey, awesome, there will be some information on how to assemble the cart and how to attach it to my 590 when I'm done. Sur wish they'd done this for the actual 590, but nope, scanning the QR code brings me to how to assemble the 590. Great, but I've already done that. How about some information on how to assemble the competition cart and then get it attached to the 590? Of course there's no manual on assembling the cart So, I've watched the video how to assemble a bunch and have the cart built, but I'll be damned if they show how to attach it to the 590.

So I set off to search the internet on how to do that and come across an older thread on here that shows it was an absolute waste of my time yesterday attaching the legs and the bottom shelf because they aren't used if I have the cart. I've muttered every 4 letter word known to man about rectec and their pathetic instructions at this point. Apparently you're just supposed to know all this.

It is astonishing they have a video about the cart and a video about how to assemble it, but nothing on how to attach the barrel of the 590 to the cart. Hopefully it's "obvious" when I get the damn legs unattached and attempt to put the barrel on the cart.

At this point, if I didn't live about as far away from them as you can, I'd return my 590 and get something else from, a different manufacturer. This is literally unacceptable to me and honestly embarrassing for them.

Hopefully my attitude towards them changes once I start cooking, but so far, the frustration has been through the roof and I can't recommend getting one of their products to anyone.

I see there's a thread at the top of the forum regarding the manual, but that link is dead. If you do a search on the rectec website for "manual" nothing comes up. I looked everywhere for an assembly manual, but could not find it.
First and foremost, recteqforum.com is NOT affiliated with recteq in any way shape or form. We are an independent fan site only. There isn't even a single recteq staff member on this site that I'm aware of.

That out of the way, thanks for the reminder about the first manual link being broken. Recteq recently changed their site/name and it broke the link. That's now been fixed.

Had you clicked on the "(mirror)" link however you would have had the manual on your computer long before the grill showed up. ;)

I opened the big box expecting there to be a manual or instructions or something in there on how to assemble, but there was nothing

This very much surprises me as recteq has always in the past included manuals with their grills - or they did when I bought mine.

You mentioned you went to their website, had you clicked on the all caps "SUPPORT" link you would have also found the manual there.

The manual aside, had you called recteq customer support they would have been MORE than happy to assist you and even point to you to the direction to the manual or even answer any assembly questions.

Their customer support is second to none. You should give them a try.

Apparently you're just supposed to know all this.

I mean as a " data/detail/knowledge nut" it doesn't seem like you've tried much other than clicked a link on a FAN site and got frustrated and while I apologize for the broken link and again I've now fixed that link. You could have saved yourself a lot of frustration with just asking here or even calling support. ;)

@San_Diego_Matt - sounds like a rough start for sure. And having just got my 590 a few months back, I can empathize. I agree that the instructions were lacking out of the box compared to other grills I've purchased. It was the you tube videos that guided me in all honesty.

I will say that since that time of assembling the comp cart, attaching the grill, and doing a few mods, I'm happy. The convenience of the controller and consistency of product to produces pleases the family, and I also get a ton of time back as I don't need to babysit it as I'm smoking like my other units.

Is it perfect? For some I bet it is. For me? Nope, but I'm an analytical tinkerer and think it's a heck of a platform to build on with some great attributes. To me, customizing is half the fun! I also paid (what I feel is a premium) for materials and warranty on purpose.

I will share that for weeks I had an issue with pellets not falling down in the hopper and doing something they call "bridging". It nearly ruined a few cooks and killed my confidence. I called and the support folks actually got me a hopper off another unit and it's been flawless. But, it killed all initial confidence I had in doing long smokes, especially when you drop nearly a grand on a unit. Talk about being P.O.ed here.... But from that rough start, I've turned the corner and find the 590 to be an overall solid unit with more advantages than disadvantages.

I guess my point is, you aren't alone in some of your feelings. There's room for improvement, but don't let the bad start overshadow the potential in the platform. If it isn't for you, I hear they have a great support and return policy. But the community here is solid regardless of the smoker / grill / manufacturer.

Good luck in whatever you do, and welcome to the forum! It's a great fan site for sure.

I was tempted to go no further after reading "... complete incompetence by UPS.." and then "... was so ornery because of what I'd call poor customer relations.." but, still somewhat curious, I went to their support site. Once I found the manual--with assembly steps--I realized I had been duped.

I'm a fan of UPS and recteq but I won't be overwhelmed to find myself slammed and somehow proven wrong by a data/detail/knowledge nut.

I stand by this site, reqteq, and UPS :)

I haven't had any issues with my trailblazer, but just this weekend had to contact RT for a warped flame deflector. It has been getting warped over the past couple of months. I emailed them about it this past Friday evening and got a response from that Saturday afternoon saying a replacement is on the way.

According to the tracking info provided, it's arriving tomorrow. Yes, we all HATE having issues to the point of reaching out to a manufacturer, however, they will have resolved my problem in less than a week. I find that as great customer service and a great smoker.

I hope your situation turns for the better, as indicated in previous threads, these are some great little machines and a great company.

Receiving your smoker 2 1/2 weeks after ordering I think is pretty darn good on both RT and UPS.
If you were doing so much research you would have seen that others on here were wondering what they should do with the legs after installing comp cart. That would have been a dead giveaway not to install.
As Mike said, Manual is available with some effort.

My intent behind my post was to simply vent my frustrations. I was, and sort of still am, irritated with the lack of instructions that came with my order. Maybe things should have been obvious, but they weren't to me. The intent of the post was to be more tongue-in-cheek than it came across. Sorry if I was over the top a bit.

I live on the west coast and have a job I have to go to every day. With RecTec being on the east coast, it's very difficult to call them, when I'm in front of the grill, to ask questions. as they're not open yet by the time I leave for work and they're closed by the time I get home during the week. I do see that they're open on Saturdays though so if I need to, I can call on Saturday. I've only had my 590 for 3 days now so I haven't owned it on a Saturday to call them yet. :)

It still seems to me, there should be a document/piece of paper/website that says "start here....do this first....if you bought the competition cart, after you do this....skip to step 6". I realize my expectations may be a bit out of line and my post should have been more of a "it'd be nice if they had this" rather than the...."this is unacceptable" response I originally posted. As mentioned I was frustrated, I felt like my time had been wasted and I was upset. Don't worry. I had a beer (or 6) and have calmed down. 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

I completely understand this site is not, at all, affiliated with RecTec. I realize there's link on the RecTeq site for the manual, and I was upset that searching their site for the word "manual" didn't reveal any results. I'm not upset at any of you. You've been very helpful in the questions I've asked so far.

In good news, the grill is together and all I need to do now is download the app and get it connected to my wifi so I can do my initial burn in. I've got pellets and also have a big flat of bone in, skin on, chicken thighs and some new Meat Church rubs to break it in with this weekend.

I get some of your frustrations. I found the documentation lacking as well. I slowed down, watched a video and paused it a lot. My biggest frustration was with the hardware package. The parts were labeled but nowhere telling you which bolt to put where. I will say once I slowed down and looked everything over it wasn’t terrible, but as you say when you pay a premium price you expect better documentation. That said when you call customer support they are extremely helpful and genuinely want you to have a good experience (which I have no doubt you will once you get started).
Good luck on your first cook and enjoy a celebratory beer!

@San_Diego_Matt your follow-up reply puts things in a much better perspective; not that you necessarily owed it to anyone, but I appreciate the time you've taken to share a follow-up. Some of us were bold in our feedback, and not everyone would be able to accept it the way that you have done. Kudos to you for that.

I remember my first call to recteq. No one answered and rather than leaving a message I intended to shoot them an email. In fewer than 5 minutes of missing my call, they called me back... all because someone saw a missed call on their phone. Another time, I sent them an email. As opposed to replying via email, they called me to help with my situation. It doesn't get better than that, would you agree?

Thanks again for your reply. I hope your Stampede and this site serve you well.

I hope the following will be taken in the spirit of my trying to help others that may come here frustrated and looking for information in the future, and come across this thread...

I’ve bought three recteq grills in the last 14 months or so. None of them came with a hard copy manual, other than a sheet included in a bag with the probe(s) that included a QR code that takes you online to the manual for that grill, and multiple phone numbers including Ray’s personal cell phone. I understand that their customer service hours are not west coast friendly, however the online manual for my Bull included exactly what has been mentioned here as lacking-if you bought the competition cart, do this, otherwise skip to step x. If you bought the smoke box, do this, otherwise skip to step y.

I remember when computer software used to ship with printed, spiral-bound manuals. That went away probably long before most members here ever bought software. It seems like more and more companies are skipping any kind of detailed hard copy manual, instead choosing to direct the customer online to access the most updated version.

Matt, I appreciate your followup. My reply was because you never know who you'll meet up with on the web. I too had to go to their site and find, download and print the owners manual for my 340. I started having trouble with wild temp swings and they asked for a pic of traeger pellets I was using. Said they were probably causing feed problems and sent me a free 40 lb bag of RT pellets and my problem went away. As my followup I have to say 6 beers can have a tendency to makes the brain slow down and the mouth, or fingers in this case, keep on going with little guidance. Understand this isn't coming from my pulpit but as a recovering heavy drinker who doesn't go to meetings.

My intent behind my post was to simply vent my frustrations. I was, and sort of still am, irritated with the lack of instructions that came with my order. Maybe things should have been obvious, but they weren't to me. The intent of the post was to be more tongue-in-cheek than it came across. Sorry if I was over the top a bit.

I live on the west coast and have a job I have to go to every day. With RecTec being on the east coast, it's very difficult to call them, when I'm in front of the grill, to ask questions. as they're not open yet by the time I leave for work and they're closed by the time I get home during the week. I do see that they're open on Saturdays though so if I need to, I can call on Saturday. I've only had my 590 for 3 days now so I haven't owned it on a Saturday to call them yet. :)

It still seems to me, there should be a document/piece of paper/website that says "start here....do this first....if you bought the competition cart, after you do this....skip to step 6". I realize my expectations may be a bit out of line and my post should have been more of a "it'd be nice if they had this" rather than the...."this is unacceptable" response I originally posted. As mentioned I was frustrated, I felt like my time had been wasted and I was upset. Don't worry. I had a beer (or 6) and have calmed down. 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

I completely understand this site is not, at all, affiliated with RecTec. I realize there's link on the RecTeq site for the manual, and I was upset that searching their site for the word "manual" didn't reveal any results. I'm not upset at any of you. You've been very helpful in the questions I've asked so far.

In good news, the grill is together and all I need to do now is download the app and get it connected to my wifi so I can do my initial burn in. I've got pellets and also have a big flat of bone in, skin on, chicken thighs and some new Meat Church rubs to break it in with this weekend.
Ummm...I only see 5 beers. Kinda makes me second guess the whole "detailed" claim. Or perhaps it was more like 8-10 beers and maybe your vision was a little blurry?? :unsure:

Kidding aside, I'm the type that tries to do my due diligence prior to diving into things, but sometimes when a curve ball gets thrown my way it can be a bit frustrating, so I get it. Although, from here I highly suggest that you subscribe to RecTeq's YouTube channel (if you haven't already done so) as there are plenty of helpful vids. One in particular that is very helpful the one that explains how to connect to WiFI/app, because this is something that MANY folks on here seem to have issues with unfortunately, so I'll post the link for that one.

That said, take a deep breathe, exhale slowly, and go drink some more beer. :D Seriusly though...it's still just a grill at the end of the day, so don't let it kick your ass brutha. Also, don't hesite to ask questions on here, because there are some pretty knowledgeable people that can help ya get through these tough times (I can't help it!).

CHEERS! 🍻

Darrell

Link:

I am also old school. Would rather have instructions in hand on paper. That's not the way anymore with technology and more and more are going to online manuals. ( Sucks)

Bought my 1st smart tv last week. It came with a "quick startup guide" that just showed where to connect the cables, how to put batteries in the remote, and the phone number for tech support. Had to call them to have them walk me through setting up the network. I guess it saves them from folks getting confused and then mad about not understanding instructions, but it just felt dumb to me. Tech support did send me a link to a full manual, but I had to call to get it. The times they are a changin.

One in particular that is very helpful the one that explains how to connect to WiFI/app, because this is something that MANY folks on here seem to have issues with unfortunately, so I'll post the link for that one.

so, I’m not a tech guy at all and of course that means I can’t get the app sorted out. I’m also a dunce at using the search on here.

I’ve downloaded the app (iPhone) and got to the point where I have to enter my WiFi password. Then it tells me to go to settings and join the wifi network I want to connect the grill to. Well, I’m at home so of course my phone is already connected to the house WiFi that I want to connect the grill to. I’m sure I’m connected to the 5ghz network though and can’t figure how to connect to/find the 2.4ghz network.
is there a discussion on here about this or anyone have any ideas?

So I learned how to turn off my 5ghz signal to connect the grill. I forgot my wifi network and reconnected. The % complete circle arrow started and when it got to100% it failed. Twice.

im only about 20 feet from my nearest access point so I don’t think it’s a signal issue

im gonna unplug the grill to hopefully reset the WiFi button and try again.

oh I found the WiFi setup manual on the rectec site so there is hope for me!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back