I had a problem

snailtrax

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hello, my name is Bill. I used to be a hard headed stick burner guy. I have been clean for five years.

I am here to tell you the facts. Don't be getting all butt-hurt when you read this. Just let it sink in. You might learn something.

The stick burner folks talk about "learning the craft", or "managing the fire". Or becoming one with the smoker. I'd rather be sleeping or spending time with the grand babies. The guys bashing pellet smokers either have never owned a pellet smoker or have never cooked on one. These "masters of the craft" of stick burning are either very old, or had a very old teacher. If they did use a pellet smoker and got poor results, then they were not a "Master of the Craft" of pellet smoking.

Ok, the stick burner guys are always bashing on pellet smokers. They call them pellet poopers and Easy Bake ovens. Stick burners are only a wood fired oven. Nothing more.

A lot of stick burners guys use a Barbeque Guru or something similar, but they won't admit it. There is also an accessory called a charcoal basket, that can keep a fire going at steady temperatures for 6 - 8 hours. I know this from personal experience. Kind of makes a stick burner a set it and forget it setup. A good nights sleep is great.

They talk about expense of pellets. Wood isn't cheap either. And you will have to work your butt off if you have to cut your own. Chainsaw, gas and oil, splitter, truck or trailer to haul it. Wood is expensive. Then you have to season it for up to a year before you can use it. I get pellets for $14.00 for 40 LBS delivered. Lasts approximately 30 hours. Before I run out, I can have them delivered in two days. Also, pellets are 100 percent hardwood. They do not use glue or binders. Some of the stick burner people using a chainsaw have the problem of bar oil on the wood. Now that is just nasty. The ones who use charcoal and briquettes still have to use wood to get any flavor.

I used a stick burner for years and was just as hard headed as they are. My brother bought a pellet smoker and showed me some of what it could produce. It was a game changer. Pellet smokers can produce smoked meat that is just as good or better than a stick burner. I dare you to do a blind test. You will fail.

The smoke ring is just a chemical reaction. I get a beautiful one with my pellet smoker. It depends on the temperature of the meat when it is placed on the grill. It does not affect taste in any way. Want a good smoke ring, put your meat on a hot smoker, 225 - 250 degrees straight from the fridge. Do not let your meat come up to room temperature.

My name is Bill. I have been clean for five years.

Enjoyed the hell out of that !
I love my RecTec and my stick burner..but as far as ease of use and having time for Grandkids etc.... You're 100% correct. Different styles take different learning. Btw not all pellets are 100% wood,there's some garbage out there too. Either way, I liked the post!

Iam right there with ya Bill. I've been a stick burner my whole life and then things changed a few months ago when I too sobered up and saw the light. That's when I made the switch to the pellet smoker.

I was tired of always being up for 24+ hours babysitting a fire and then being exhausted when family and guests showed up for the feast...

I do miss messing with fire now again but when I look at phone to check the temp on the cooker all that goes away... hahah

Good piece Bill. I am a reformed Kettle smoker complete with the Slow n Sear and BBQ Guru Party Q. (Which was an overpriced piece of garbage). My Stampede consistently produces better looking and tasting food. It is easier to operate and clean too.

My Stampede is my first smoker. But I've been around the stick burner guys and the kamado guys. While both do a good job, they struggled with maintaining temps. I love how my pellet grill is just set and forget. I don't have to worry about the cook, I just follow directions and it turns out great. Sure it's not as smokey as a stick burner and you don't get that charcoal flavor of a kamado, but you do get it cooked right every time.

Love that post Bill.
I am on the outside looking in right now and plan on joining team RecTec in November. Have been cooking on BGE's since 2005. My son bought a Bull last spring and told me about starting it from his phone while still in bed. That is just wrong. I too have tired of minding the fire on overnight cooks even with my BBQ Guru, I have had them go out.

Looking forward to joining the club.
thanks for the perspective Bill!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back