I Fell victim to the "Classic" blunder

Strobro

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Got my new Stampede on Thursday... Did the pre-burn and then some chicken breasts: 1 hr. Smoke on low then 425 till finish---rave reviews
Put on a brisket late Thurs night for a party on Friday. Party got changed till later. I tried to extend the rest period to keep it warm and overcooked it. Great bark, great smoke ring, good flavor ... too dry.
Definitely "new pilot" error. :oops:

It happens...when it does, I usually freeze mine until I make chili or baked beans. I'll grind or chop it and throw it in. Takes both up a notch.

in this situation you can pull it, rest it, stick it in a sous vide bag, and run it for a while at 140 (Aaron Franklin’s recommended warming temp). Keeps it at the perfect temp until serving time with a fairly minimal affect on the bark (better than the wrapping in a towel and putting it in the cooler IMO), and you can always pop it in the smoker for 10 minutes to re-energize the bark.

you need a big enough vacuum sealer (15”) and a big enoughsous vide container.

I'm confused. How does letting it rest overcook it? I've let them rest for up to 6 hours and never had an issue, so I'm not getting the overcooked thing. The most it'll continue cooking is approx. 5 degrees or so max, and then it's just going to gradually cool down. :unsure:

Darrell

I had it wrapped in a towel in a cooler....it just kept cooking ... for quite a while I guess

Butcher paper

I won’t be much use on the butcher paper as I haven’t used it before. Although I’m going to give it a go this weekend to experiment with it.

I haven’t gone six hours in a cooler, but I have gone four for sure and the brisket was still really good...But that was wrapped in foil. I wonder if the fact the foil holds in more moisture than the paper could be a difference? However that’s just a guess on my part.

You could be correct. The paper was soaked when I pulled it out.

If your brisket was dry, I suspect it wasn't from the long rest, with foil or paper. It may have just been a leaner brisket to begin with.

But no matter, whip up some au jus, slice, and serve from a tray/container with the beef partially submerged. There are a lot of recipes out there for a beef au jus. All the bbq competitors have some type of au jus to serve their brisket box with. I just use some rich beef stock (richer than broth), add rub, a bit of soy, worchestershire and wine, or Dale's Steak seasoning, heat, stir and pour it over the beef. That'll put you back on top as the bbq king of the block.;)

I like this brand of stocks because they are richer than other brands.
https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Basi...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
beef stock.jpg

Last edited:
Got my new Stampede on Thursday... Did the pre-burn and then some chicken breasts: 1 hr. Smoke on low then 425 till finish---rave reviews
Put on a brisket late Thurs night for a party on Friday. Party got changed till later. I tried to extend the rest period to keep it warm and overcooked it. Great bark, great smoke ring, good flavor ... too dry.
Definitely "new pilot" error. :oops:
Next time just wrap it in butcher paper, then in some old beach towels, and put it in a cooler without ice. It will be good there for a few hours.

JUST A THOUGHT, it "may" have been overcooked before it was wrapped...Never had one dry out that was noy overcooked prior 2 wrap in Butcher oink paper... IMHO.........

Could be...I was relying on the probes before I got my Thermapen. Two days ago I smoked a tri tip with probe b. The temp from the probe stayed close to what the thermapen would read till the end....about the time I was going to start a reverse sear, probe had been at 117 for a while....now the pen read over 136 ??? Would have been well done if I didn't have the 'pen

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back