Bullseye I’m Thinkin’ Bullseye, wife says Weber – what say you?

I have the 590 and two kettles. These ribs were smoked on the kettle and held at 180 for a very long time in the 590.

Attachments

• 24F2C749-690F-4796-B4D7-F752C8677C45.jpeg
    24F2C749-690F-4796-B4D7-F752C8677C45.jpeg
    532.2 KB · Views: 56
  • F3AB8955-B8A7-45E3-A1F2-0F2C38158834.jpeg
    F3AB8955-B8A7-45E3-A1F2-0F2C38158834.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
  • 208B145F-05FC-4270-B55E-51AC1E31274A.jpeg
    208B145F-05FC-4270-B55E-51AC1E31274A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 70
  • F4EF194C-8B5D-4894-A0CA-209B6EFBF91F.jpeg
    F4EF194C-8B5D-4894-A0CA-209B6EFBF91F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
  • 28172BD3-CBFE-4D27-B4E6-632BE55D4721.jpeg
    28172BD3-CBFE-4D27-B4E6-632BE55D4721.jpeg
    973 KB · Views: 65
If you're after smoked or 'cooked with wood/charcoal' flavor don't bother with a pellet grill. The bullseye is convenient for hot & fast cooking, but IMO doesn't impart any more flavor than a gas grill.

Funny.. I just picked up one of these yesterday the one with the ignitor. I'll have to try this. Do you just spread the coals out and use it or still use one of the starter cans? I usually use the can but it takes a while still. Just does a nice job getting all the charcoal going.
Can't speak to charcoal but with wood I just stack it up like I want it for cooking then light things up.

I've used my MAP gas torch to light the charcoal chimney many times. I put it up on bricks so I can get the torch up under the coal. It's faster then paper but not 10 minutes fast. By the looks of the weed burner the chimney would need to be 2'-3' in the air to get under it, unless you can bend the gas tube more. Maybe cutting some of the bottom away would give better access.

I've used my MAP gas torch to light the charcoal chimney many times. I put it up on bricks so I can get the torch up under the coal. It's faster then paper but not 10 minutes fast. By the looks of the weed burner the chimney would need to be 2'-3' in the air to get under it, unless you can bend the gas tube more. Maybe cutting some of the bottom away would give better access.
With a weed torch (at least the 2 I've used, Harbor Freight model and Flame Engineering) you can light off the chimney from above or the side. Bigger challenge is not melting the thin metal of the chimney.

Hmm. I have a red dragon, but it's like 500K BTU/hr. I vaporized a hot wheel car once. Never thought about lighting charcoal with it.

Hmm. I have a red dragon, but it's like 500K BTU/hr. I vaporized a hot wheel car once. Never thought about lighting charcoal with it.
I've got that same model, lighting charcoal chimneys with it requires a delicate touch if you want to reuse the chimney...or have much charcoal left. Its more suited for lighting a pile of lump charcoal or hardwoods.

A few years ago, I made the unfortunate impulse decision to get a gas grill. Boy, was I disappointed when it basically tasted like I’d cooked everything in the kitchen oven or stove top! And to add insult to injury, my wife wasn’t the least bit impressed with the flavor either.

I don’t currently have budget for a Bull, and I’m mostly planning on cooking salmon, steaks, burgers, chicken, and perhaps dipping my toe into the slow and low with some occasional ribs, brisket, and maybe turkey. Probably a couple times a week in total. More often in the Summer.

My wife says – heck, just get a weber. We love that smokey charcoal taste, and that’s what it’s all about. Pellets? She thinks will be about as tasty as the gas grill, which is a major no-go. Plus, since electricity is required, she reasons, a Bullseye doesn't help us out in a power outage scenario.

I’m thinking pellets are going to smoke and have a smokey taste at least close to on par with charcoal, and would be far more convenient for ease of operation, temperature control, clean up, etc. If the power goes out, I can always drag the gas grill out.

Who is right? Me or my wife? Should I bite the bullet and get a Weber, or would a Bullseye be on point? I will be very sad if I throw down for a Bullseye and don’t get a great smokey flavor. To me, that’s pretty much the whole point. At the same time, if the taste is relatively close, it seems like pellets would be far more convenient.

Thanks for your input!
Like others have mentioned. You won’t get the traditional charcoal flavor with the smoker. If I’m doing a $15 a pound steak. You can bet I break out the charcoal grill. But, for everything else the Bullseye does a great job. You get a smoky flavor and not the neutral generic flavor of the gas grill. I think the Bullseye kind of a compromise between the two.

.... If I’m doing a $15 a pound steak. You can bet I break out the charcoal grill. ...
(y) ...or put it back in the fridge. There is no other way that works for me.

...and that's mesquite lump charcoal with mesquite chunk wood to add some smoke during the cook in my komado running very hot fire very close under the grate. Sear, then indirect with smoke to cook to temp

If you're after smoked or 'cooked with wood/charcoal' flavor don't bother with a pellet grill. The bullseye is convenient for hot & fast cooking, but IMO doesn't impart any more flavor than a gas grill.
What pellets are you using? The bullseyes I've used smoke more than a Weber kettle and make awesome grilled, skin on chicken (Which is a litmus test for me). The flavor is great!

Please be aware, not all pellets are created equal!! Also, if you really want charcoal flavor, they make charcoal pellets...

Ymmv

A few years ago, I made the unfortunate impulse decision to get a gas grill. Boy, was I disappointed when it basically tasted like I’d cooked everything in the kitchen oven or stove top! And to add insult to injury, my wife wasn’t the least bit impressed with the flavor either.

I don’t currently have budget for a Bull, and I’m mostly planning on cooking salmon, steaks, burgers, chicken, and perhaps dipping my toe into the slow and low with some occasional ribs, brisket, and maybe turkey. Probably a couple times a week in total. More often in the Summer.

My wife says – heck, just get a weber. We love that smokey charcoal taste, and that’s what it’s all about. Pellets? She thinks will be about as tasty as the gas grill, which is a major no-go. Plus, since electricity is required, she reasons, a Bullseye doesn't help us out in a power outage scenario.

I’m thinking pellets are going to smoke and have a smokey taste at least close to on par with charcoal, and would be far more convenient for ease of operation, temperature control, clean up, etc. If the power goes out, I can always drag the gas grill out.

Who is right? Me or my wife? Should I bite the bullet and get a Weber, or would a Bullseye be on point? I will be very sad if I throw down for a Bullseye and don’t get a great smokey flavor. To me, that’s pretty much the whole point. At the same time, if the taste is relatively close, it seems like pellets would be far more convenient.

Thanks for your input!
I had both and used both often. I actually ended up getting rid of the bullseye and upgrading to the bull. If you want a great smoker that does ok as a grill, go with the bullseye. If you want a great grill that does okay as a smoker, get the Weber. 😋

I used a "weed burner" to get charcoal going for years. It only takes a few minutes and its ready to cook.
One trick I do on the Bullseye is drop some wood chips down onto the center of the flame spreader right before I put the food on...this imparts a great deal of delicious smoke flavor.

What pellets are you using? The bullseyes I've used smoke more than a Weber kettle and make awesome grilled, skin on chicken (Which is a litmus test for me). The flavor is great!

Please be aware, not all pellets are created equal!! Also, if you really want charcoal flavor, they make charcoal pellets...

Ymmv
I've used LumberJacks competition blend and currently am going through some Kingsford maple pellets. No difference in flavor between them. Never cooked on, much less owned a Weber; most of my grilling and smoking has been on old Oklahoma Joe's rigs using hardwood.

Thanks for your input!
I have had my Bullseye for 2 weeks and I can tell you that its versatility far outstrips any gas grill. Plus there is NO comparison when comparing the quality of construction of a Bullseye vs any Weber.

I have a bullseye and am pretty pleased with it. It’s definitely not a long low and slow cooker. Does great with spatchcock chicken, ribs, 1/2 briskets, hamburgers, stuffed pork chops and things like that. I think it puts out enough smoke and I have the auger in default speed. In my opinion, it’s easier than dealing with charcoal. It’s very easy to keep the temperature consistent and regulated.
For steaks, I do a reverse sear method and finish in a black iron skillet. Does great hamburgers too (sort of like a smoked burger that I think is better than traditional type grilled burgers).

Lots of great opinions here and I'll probably echo what others have said.

I think you have a question to answer yourself in which direction to go. Do you want convenience and some flavor or more smoke flavor and not convenient? And to the second with more smoke flavor - do you like/love the charcoal flavor? If you love it, pellets just don't compare. They are WAY more subtle smoke flavor.

But not knocking someone above but if you think a gas grill(even top of the line) burger tastes the same as a pellet grill(especially the Bullseye which is more direct cooking[no drip pan]), then I'm not sure what to say because it is not comparable to me.

The bullseye can do low and slow with a drip pan on the heat diffuser. I did st louis ribs on my bullseye just to try it. They came out really good. But I do have a Bull though so I use my bull for ribs.

Honestly, the best answer is both. I myself have thought about getting a weber kettle just for 'sometimes' cooks. But I use my Bullseye at least 2 to 3 times a week and sometimes more. I cooked boneless skinless chicken thighs last night in the rain. Not ideal cooking in the rain but grill was fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back