Bullseye I’m Thinkin’ Bullseye, wife says Weber – what say you?

Smokin

A few years ago, I made the unfortunate impulse decision to get a gas grill. Boy, was I disappointed when it basically tasted like I’d cooked everything in the kitchen oven or stove top! And to add insult to injury, my wife wasn’t the least bit impressed with the flavor either.

I don’t currently have budget for a Bull, and I’m mostly planning on cooking salmon, steaks, burgers, chicken, and perhaps dipping my toe into the slow and low with some occasional ribs, brisket, and maybe turkey. Probably a couple times a week in total. More often in the Summer.

My wife says – heck, just get a weber. We love that smokey charcoal taste, and that’s what it’s all about. Pellets? She thinks will be about as tasty as the gas grill, which is a major no-go. Plus, since electricity is required, she reasons, a Bullseye doesn't help us out in a power outage scenario.

I’m thinking pellets are going to smoke and have a smokey taste at least close to on par with charcoal, and would be far more convenient for ease of operation, temperature control, clean up, etc. If the power goes out, I can always drag the gas grill out.

Who is right? Me or my wife? Should I bite the bullet and get a Weber, or would a Bullseye be on point? I will be very sad if I throw down for a Bullseye and don’t get a great smokey flavor. To me, that’s pretty much the whole point. At the same time, if the taste is relatively close, it seems like pellets would be far more convenient.

Thanks for your input!

I have a Weber Performer kettle, my take on it is it produces the best flavor (charcoal) but is by far the most work, especially on long cooks. It takes 30 - 40 minutes to get it set to cook. If you are doing long cooks you need to monitor, feed, and adjust the fire through the cook. I'd not use it for long cooks.

I have a 340, not a Bullseye so I can't comment on it specifically against charcoal.

Here's my .02₵...

Don't buy the Bullseye thinking it's going to be on par with a charcoal grill; you will be disappointed.

I currently own a 590 and a Weber Kettle. For long and slow cooks, you can't beat a pellet grill. For fast and furious, you can't beat charcoal. Most weekends I'll have both grills going.

That being said, lately I've been using a smoke tube in my 590 for an added kick of smoke. I don't know how that would work in your gas grill, but it may be worth a try while you make a decision.

Good luck.!

If you like getting down and dirty, go with the Weber charcoal.
If you're not a fan of playing in charcoal, go for the Bullseye.

I bought a Bullseye after having the 590 for a few months. I LOVE my Bullseye, it heats up in a few minutes and to me is much easier than charcoal. It is simple to use and quick! I have GrillGrates for it and leave them on all of the time. It is great for burgers, fish steaks or anything you would use a grill for. While I have not cooked ribs or a brisket, you could, I just use my 590 for that.
It is a great price point and I think it is on sale now.

You should get both in my opinion.. they are different animals in what they offer and add to the arsenal to please the needs. There are some good deals on used Kettles from what I have seen almost to the point of people giving them away. Just look at FB Marketplace for your area. Folks just don't want to spend the time it takes to cook on them I suspect but there is nothing like it. For pellet cooks (I don't have a Bullseye yet waiting on wifi which may never happen) it does the work for you but know the higher heat the less smoke you will introduce and may be similar to your gas situation. The gas you should keep also.. benefits there for your line up as well such as searing.

Agreed. Pellet grills are best viewed as a jack of all trades, master of none type device.

I also have a Weber kettle, and it's there for more traditional type grilling. Some things are just better on a charcoal grill.

I think anyone that likes to play with fire should own a charcoal grill of some kind. Webers just happen to be the most prevalent. As mentioned, they are almost give aways in local classifieds. Buy a used one and if the grate is rusty, just buy a new grate at Home D for cheap, brush out the bowl and fire it up. Or if new is your thing, just buy a 22" Original Kettle for $175 and give it a go. If you really like it, you can always upgrade to a Performer or the Weber E6 or S6 Summit line of premium kettle/komado. Or if you're into large parties, a 37" Ranch Kettle will feed a lot of people. If you are willing to spend $350, a Napolean Pro 22 is a pretty sweet grill. Check out BBQ Guys website.

BTW, keep that gasser for the quick grilled veggies.

Last edited:
For any of you that don't already know, you can have a charcoal grill fired up and ready to cook in 10 minutes, using a $25 Harbor Freight weed burner. Thats about how long a gasser takes to warm up. Granted you have to load charcoal and maybe clean ashes, etc.

For any of you that don't already know, you can have a charcoal grill fired up and ready to cook in 10 minutes, using a $25 Harbor Freight weed burner. Thats about how long a gasser takes to warm up. Granted you have to load charcoal and maybe clean ashes, etc.

Funny.. I just picked up one of these yesterday the one with the ignitor. I'll have to try this. Do you just spread the coals out and use it or still use one of the starter cans? I usually use the can but it takes a while still. Just does a nice job getting all the charcoal going.

Funny.. I just picked up one of these yesterday the one with the ignitor. I'll have to try this. Do you just spread the coals out and use it or still use one of the starter cans? I usually use the can but it takes a while still. Just does a nice job getting all the charcoal going.
I just use a charcoal chimney. I'm grilling. It takes time. I'm not driving in the Indy500....I'm cooking. ;):ROFLMAO:

I just use a charcoal chimney. I'm grilling. It takes time. I'm not driving in the Indy500....I'm cooking. ;):ROFLMAO:

True.. there is some fun to using a flame thrower though to start a grill :)

flame thrower fire GIF

i have seen pictures were people use those for the sear portion of the reverse sear. seems to work great but has a learning curve. start with cheap steaks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back